The Passport Scholarship is an initiative of the UofM Study Abroad Office with the goal of helping low income students take the first step towards studying abroad. The Passport Scholarship will provide reimbursement for the costs of obtaining a passport, including the $110 passport fee, $25 service fee, and the cost of obtaining passport photos, which is estimated to cost from $10 to $15. No commitment to study abroad is required to receive the Passport Scholarship! (For Lambuth Students, please scroll down to "Lambuth Campus Instructions.")
To receive the $150 Passport Scholarship, students must:
- Have an EFC of 0 as determined by their current FAFSA
- Submit a completed passport application at the Spring Semester Study Abroad Fair on January 24, 2018 between 10 am and 2 pm
- Be one of the first 100 qualifying students to submit an application
- Complete a Passport Scholarship Voucher form provided at the time of application
After students submit their completed applications, the Study Abroad Office will verify the financial aid status of each student. The first 100 qualifying students will then be issued a $150 Scholarship to the student's TigerXpress Account.
Students are responsible for ensuring they have all required items by January 24, 2018.
A completed application consists of:
- Completed DS-11 Form (Print and fill out in black ink)
- Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (U.S. official birth certificate is most common)
- Photocopy of Evidence of U.S. Citizenship document (front and back, singled sided)
- *Present ID (Valid driver's license is most common)
- Photocopy of ID (front and back, single sided)
- Passport-sized photo (Can be obtained at locations such as CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens, etc)
- **Check or Money Order for $135 (includes $110 passport fee and $25 service fee) written to US Department of State
All applicants must look over the detailed instructions provided on the required items above located on the US Department of State website here: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/applyinperson.html. It is the applicant's responsibility to follow all directions provided regarding the items required for application.
(Only students who submit their application in person at the Study Abroad Fair are eligible for the Passport Scholarship. Students who submit their passport at a Passport Acceptance Facility, such as a post office, cannot receive the scholarship.)
* Students who have a non-TN driver's license will need to submit an additional form of ID. Please click the "Present ID" in the list above for additional information.
** Please note - students who apply for their passport at the Study Abroad Fair should bring one check or money order for the full amount of $135. This is different than applying at a Passport Acceptance Facility, where 2 separate checks/money orders are required. The Passport Scholarship is a reimbursement, so applicants are responsible for obtaining the check/money order prior to application.
Lambuth Campus Instructions:
If you attend the Lambuth campus, you can still receive the Passport Scholarship!
Lambuth students must:
- Complete a Passport Scholarship Voucher at the Lambuth Study Abroad Fair on Wednesday, November 8 from 10 am to 2 pm in the Student Union
- Be one of the first 5 students with an EFC of 0 to complete the voucher
- Email proof to email@example.com that you submitted your complete passport application (including paying the required fees) between November 8 and November 17, 2017
Once the Study Abroad Office confirms your eligibility and receives your documentation, a Passport Scholarship in the amount of $150 will be posted to your TigerXpress account.
To see the documents you need to submit along with the locations you may submit your completed application too, please go here: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/applyinperson.html (Lambuth students will follow the regular process in apply for and submitting their passport application.)