Study Abroad

Passports and visas are two important documents needed to travel abroad.


Before you travel abroad, you will need to get a passport. Passports serve as an official identification while traveling to show proof of U.S. citizenship. Passports are needed before leaving and entering almost every country. You must have a passport to leave and return to the United States. Keep in mind that applying for a passport can take up to 6-weeks, so apply as soon as you commit to a program. Make copies of your passport identification page with your picture and passport number. A copy of this page will need to be turned in digitally to the Study Abroad office. It is also good to leave a passport copy at your home, and carry a copy with you on your trip. If you lose your passport, it is easier to get a replacement if you have a copy with you.

Click the "Get a Passport" image for instructions on how to apply. If you already have a passport and need to renew, please click the image below.


A visa is needed to show permission to visit a country for the time and length of your stay. Visa requirements vary by country. Please talk to the Study Abroad advisor about the requirements of your country and how to apply. You can learn more about visas here.

Internships Abroad
Youtube Twitter
Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 1/8/13