Learning Support at The University of Memphis permits students to enroll in prescribed courses to develop the academic competencies necessary for success in college level courses. Major components of the program include testing and placement in appropriate level courses.
Students admitted to The University of Memphis as beginning freshmen will be placed in appropriate English, math, and reading, courses based on ACT subscores that are less than 5 years old.
- Students with ACT reading subscores below 19 are required to enroll in ACAD 1100
- Students with ACT English subscores below 18 are required to enroll in prescribed English courses
If students feel they have been misplaced by their ACT subscores in English and reading, they may take the ACCUPLACER test to attempt to place in a higher level course.
- All students, regardless of their ACT math subscore, are required to take the ALEKS placement assessment for math.
Students without ACT scores are required to take the ACCUPLACER, a computer-adaptive assessment, to determine the best course placement for them. The ACCUPLACER assessment provides students and their advisors with important information about educational preparation and is a good beginning toward the achievement of academic goals.
ACCUPLACER tests are given many times during the course of the year. The Testing Center has a list of dates and a Test Guide for your convenience. The ACCUPLACER test should be taken before seeing your advisor or attending New Student Orientation.
Note the following requirements regarding placement tests and course enrollment:
- ACCUPLACER testing is required of students whose ACT (SAT) scores are more than 5 years old, transfer students with no college level credit in English, non-degree seeking students before enrollment in English, and students with no ACT/SAT scores.
- ALEKS testing is required of transfer students with no college level credit in math, and non-degree seeking students before enrollment in a math course.
- Enrollment in any prescribed course is restricted to students who are placed by their ACT subscores or who have taken the appropriate placement assessment. Self-placement without testing is not permitted.
Students with ACT reading subscores below 19 are required to enroll in ACAD 1100.
Students with ACT English subscores below 18 are required to enroll in prescribed English courses. Students must check with their advisor to determine which English course is appropriate for them.
Students will be placed in a math course based on the results of the ALEKS placement assessment. Students must check with their advisor to determine which college level math course is appropriate for them.