The Academic Counseling Center advises all pre-nursing students, including new freshman, students changing their major to pre-nursing, and transfer pre-nursing students.
To be eligible to enter the nursing program you must meet the following criteria:
- Admission to the UofM as a degree seeking undergraduate student for the current application term.
- Submission of a completed online application to the Loewenberg College of Nursing (LCON) prior to the published deadline.
- Achievement of a minimum college cumulative GPA of 2.7 at the time of application.
- Completion of general education requirements prior to enrollment is strongly advised; applicants may have no more than 6 general education credit hours to be completed.
- Completion of two of three (2 of 3) prerequisite science courses at the time of application
and all three prior to enrollment. Science courses include: Anatomy & Physiology I
(with lab), Anatomy & Physiology II (with lab), and Microbiology (with lab).
- Applicants are required to complete prerequisite science courses within seven (7) years of LCON admission earning a minimum combined GPA of 2.66.
- One (1) science course may be repeated one time only; the second earned letter grade of the repeated course will be used in the science GPA calculation. The first letter grade for the remaining two (2) science courses will be used in the science GPA calculation.
- Students with two (2) or more science courses in-progress at the time of application will be considered for admission with completion of two (2) college general science courses (for science majors) earning a grade of "C" or better on the first attempt. The highest 1st attempt course grades will be used in the science GPA calculation.
- Preference will be given to those students who completed all science pre- requisites and meet the required GPA at the time of application.
- Completion of all prerequisite courses prior to enrollment; a minimum grade of "C"
must be earned. Prerequisite courses include:
ENGL 1010 and 1020
MATH 1420, 1530, 1710, 1730, 1830, or 1910
NUTR 2202 or 3202
PSYC 1030 or SOCI 1010
- Clearance of all high school deficiencies
All pre-nursing students are advised in the ACC. If you are currently advised in the ACC, click here for your advisor's contact information. If you are changing your major to pre-nursing, are a transfer student, or are a new student, please contact the ACC at (901) 678-2062.
If you are currently a Registered Nurse (RN) contact the Loewenberg College of Nursing at 901.678.2003.
Transfer Pre-Nursing Students
The ACC advises all transfer pre-nursing students; appointments can be made by calling 901.678.2062.
Second Degree Students
The Loewenberg College of Nursing offers an accelerated track for those students who already have earned a baccalaureate degree. The accelerated program is a fast paced, intensive program that only begins in the fall term. Students in the accelerated program take courses for 16 months (Fall - Spring - Summer [Pre-Summer, 1st and 2nd term] - Fall) to obtain their degree.
Accelerated track students must meet the same admission criteria listed above.
Contact the Academic Counseling Center at 901.678.2062 or at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.