Whether you are attending school for the first time, or returning after a period of
time off, going to college can seem overwhelming. The Adult Student Enrollment Guide
is a resource that will assist adult students in making a smooth transition into college
STEP-BY-STEP ENROLLMENT GUIDE FOR PROSPECTIVE ADULT STUDENTS
Below is a step-by-step guide to becoming an adult student at the University of Memphis.
- Submit an application for admission and non-refundable application fee before the deadline.*
- Contact previously attended high school (if new student) or college (if transferring)
and have them send your final transcripts directly to the University of Memphis.
- GED recipients should have their scores sent to the University of Memphis.
- Apply for Financial Aid. Learn more about the Adult Scholarship and Lottery Scholarship component for non-traditional
- Receive application confirmation letter in the mail. Check your status via the MyMemphis Portal. (Additional paperwork may be needed in individual cases)
- Make an appointment to take the Compass exam (if applicable).
- Receive your acceptance letter in the mail.
- Make an appointment to meet with an Academic Advisor and register for classes. Ask about the various options for completing your degree.
- Register for and attend Adult/Transfer orientation (if applicable).
- Visit the Adult and Commuter Student Services office regularly and connect with the
Adult Student Association!
If you need assistance with any of the above steps, we welcome you to make an appointment
with Mrs. Joy R. Stout, Director of Adult and Commuter Student Services, by calling
(901) 678-2644 or sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
* If you previously attended the University of Memphis, contact the admissions office
(901-678-2111) to complete an application for Readmission.