Each interview candidate is contacted and dates established for the visit.
- Interviews are often for 1 ½ to 2 days. To reduce airfares, the interview periods
are often Saturday through Tuesday, Wednesday through Sunday.
- The department secures a travel authorization (TA) http://bf.memphis.edu/forms/trav/trav01 for each candidate’s visit. To facilitate this, the candidate’s name, complete home
address, and social security number are needed.
- It helps to have an overall coordinator for each candidate’s interview. The search
committee usually coordinates the interview.
A schedule is established for each interview and should include meetings with:
- The College Dean ( all candidates’ vitae are provided in advance)
- The department chairperson (provide chairperson the candidate’s file on the day of
- Each departmental research group, and/or with individual faculty members
- Graduate students in the area of the search
- Other relevant groups in or outside of the department
In addition, the schedule should include:
A schedule should be posted where faculty and others can sign up for sessions.
The candidate’s vita should also be made available in case faculty need to review
it in advance of sessions.
Include on the schedule the location of each meeting, the name of the research group,
and the name(s) of those dining with the candidate.
A copy of the schedule should be given to the candidate. It is helpful if this could
be provided a few days before the visit.
It is recommended that early in the interview the candidate be provided with a packet
which includes the documents about The University of Memphis and the department. Most
of this type of information is now located on the University’s Web page.