Are You Ready for Your Advising Appointment?
New Freshmen and Parents, Click Here!
When you meet with your advisor each semester to prepare for the next semester’s courses,
you need to be prepared so that your meeting will go well.
- Schedule an appointment well in advance of your registration time.
- Read the Undergraduate Catalog sections on your degree and your major requirements as well as the General Education
- Look over any materials your advisor has given you previously regarding your major
and degree, and bring them with you to every appointment.
- Check your transcript and UMdegree Worksheet in myMemphis so that you are prepared to ask about anything that is unclear
- Use the Planner Tab in UMdegree to develop a plan for at least the upcoming semester. You should plan as far ahead
as you can. Make sure to save your plan so your advisor can review it before your
- If you are a transfer student, check to make sure any substitutions made and approved
by your advisor are recorded on the UMdegree Worksheet (transfer course used for a
UofM requirement). If not, please include this on a list of questions for your advisor.
- Come prepared with a list of questions and any concerns that you would like to discuss.
- Ask your advisor for alternate courses that you can take in the event some courses
are closed or do not fit your schedule.
- Inform your advisor of any changes in your plans since the last time you met- for
example, if you have decided to add a minor or a second major, or if you are planning
to go to graduate school or to professional school after graduation.
- Take a list of other concerns such as problems affecting your academic performance
or career considerations. Your advisor can supply you with contact information for
sources of help on campus, for example, tutoring or personal or career counseling.
Having a list of concerns will ensure that you do not forget to discuss them.
- Thank your advisor for spending time with you.
Your advisor is available to assist you with your college career, but ultimately it
is your responsibility to make appropriate academic choices. Being prepared for each
advising session will ensure that your choices are wise.
Are you ready? Make an appointment now!