Dr. Patricia V. Podzorski
Curator of Egyptian Art
About Dr. Podzorski
Dr. Podzorski is Curator for the ancient Egyptian collection of the Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology at the University of Memphis. She also teaches graduate and undergraduate courses on ancient Egyptian art and language, as well as museum studies.
At the University of Memphis she is a member of the Advisory Committee for the Interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate Program in Museum Studies and is an associate member of the graduate faculty.
Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley, Egyptian Art & Archaeology, 1994
Research and Scholarly Activities
Ancient technology; material culture; ceramics; Predynastic Egypt; Middle and Late Egyptian; curation; museography; human osteology; archaeological methodology
- Dissertation: The Northern Cemetery at Ballas in Upper Egypt: A Study of the Middle and Late Predynastic Remains. University of California at Berkeley, 1994.
- Sunnyside Wildlife Area Cultural Resources Site Survey, with contributions by A.R. Blukis Onat, G. Bishop, J. Butler and S. Davis. B.O.A.S., Inc., Seattle, WA, 1998.
- Their Bones Shall Not Perish. An Examination of Human Skeletal Remains from Naga-ed-Der in Egypt. SIA Publishing, New Malden, Surrey, England, 1990.
- "The Early Dynastic Mastabas of Naga ed-Deir," Archéo-Nil. La naissance de l'architecture funéraire, No. 18. Paris, 2008.
- "77. Biconical Juglet, Tell el-Yahudiyah Ware," "79. Scarab," "80. Scaraboid," and "81. Scarab." In Testament of Time: A Catalog of Ancient Palestinian Objects in the Collection of the Museum of Art and Archaeology, University of Missouri, Jane C. Biers and James H. Terry, eds., Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2004.
- "Incense burners of the late Predynastic period in Egypt: an examination of the evidence from three sites." In Egyptian Pottery: Proceedings of the 1990 Pottery Symposium at the University of California, Berkeley, C. Redmount and C.A. Keller, eds., Contributions of the University of California Archaeological Research Facility Berkeley 58 / University of California Publications in Egyptian Archaeology 8. Archaeological Research Facility, University of California at Berkeley, 2003.
- "Naga ed-Deir." In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt, D. Redford, ed., Oxford University Press, London and New York, 2001.
- "Early Egyptian human remains: retrieval, conservation and analysis," Newsletter of the American Research Center in Egypt, No. 179, Fall 2000.
- "George A. Reisner" and "Naqada." In The Oxford Encyclopedia of Archaeology in the Near East, E. M. Meyers, ed., Oxford University Press, London and New York, 1997.
- "The correlation of skeletal remains and burial goods: an example from Naga-ed-Der 7000." In Biological Anthropology and the Study of Ancient Egypt, W. Vivian Davies and Roxie Walker, eds., British Museum Press, London, 1993.
- "Artifacts excavated by the Hearst Expedition from the fort at El-Ahaiwah," Cahier de Recherches de l'Institut de Papyrologie et d'Égyptologie, No. 11. Lille, France, 1989.
- "Predynastic Egyptian seals of known provenience in the R.H. Lowie Museum of Anthropology," Journal of Near Eastern Studies, 1988.
- "Identification of some Egyptian wood artifacts in the Lowie Museum of Anthropology," with J. Knudsen and N. Rem, MASCA Journal, June 1985.