Associate Professor, Assistant Chair
- Ph.D. - 2005
Florida State University
Dissertation: " 'England's Giorgione': Charles H. Shannon and Venetianism in Late Victorian England" Advisor: Lauren Weingarden
- M.A. - 1996
State University of New York at Stony Brook
Thesis: " 'Human Refuse': George Frederick Watts and Social Realism in Early Victorian Painting" Advisor: James Rubin
- B.A. - 1994
University of West Florida
- A.A. - 1992
Gulf Coast Community College
- 2011- present Associate Professor, University of Memphis
- 2005-2011 Assistant Professor, University of Memphis
- 2005 Adjunct Instructor, Converse College, Spartanburg South Carolina
- 2001-2004 Teaching Assistant (instructor of record), Florida State University
- 2001 Teaching Assistant (instructor of record), Florida State University London Study Centre
- 2000 Curatorial Fellow, Appleton Museum of Art
- 2000 Visiting Scholar, University of West Florida
- 1996-1999 Teaching Assistant (instructor of record), Florida State University and Florida State University London Study Centre
- 1995-1996 Teaching Assistant, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- 1993-94 Slide Librarian, University of West Florida
- 1993 Grader, University of West Florida
HONORS / AWARDS
- 2010 Professional Development Assignment, "Utopia and Innocence: The Role of Venetian Renaissance Painting in John Ruskin's Aesthetic and Social Theories." University of Memphis.
- 2006 "John Ruskin and Venetian Painting." Faculty Research Grant, University of Memphis
- 2002-2003 Penelope Mason Fellow
- 2000 Appleton Curatorial Fellow
- 2000 Leffert L. Mabies Jr. Visiting Scholar
- 1999, 1996-98 Appleton Teaching Fellow
- 1995 and 1994 Undergraduate student of the year in Art History
The Role of Venetian Renaissance Painting in John Ruskin's Utopian Theories: a Sociopolitical History of Art. Lewiston, NY: the Edwin Mellen Press, 2011.
"The Presentation of the Virgin: Ruskin and Images of Girlhood in Venetian Renaissance Painting." In Ruskin, Venice and Nineteenth-century Cultural Travel. Venice: Bricole, Libreria Editrice Cafoscarina, 2010
"Shannon in the House of Delia: a Theme from Tibullus in a Painting by Charles Hazelwood Shannon." The Burlington Magazine. Vol. CLII, no. 1286: May 2010.
"A Portrait of the Critic as a Young Girl: James Northcote's 1822 Portrait of John Ruskin." The Ruskin Review and Bulletin. Vol. 5, No. 2: Autumn, 2009
"Introduction." For exhibition "Something Old, Something New: New Paintings by Elizabeth Alley." Memphis, TN: 2003.
CONFERENCES / PRESENTATIONS / PAPERS
- 2011 Southeastern College Art Conference, Savannah, Georgia. Paper: "Loss and Exile in Dante's Dream: The Dantean Significance of Medieval Siena in a Painting by Dante Gabriel Rossetti."
- 2011 "The Reception of Titian in Britain, c. 1769-1877: Artists, Collectors, Critics." International Conference, School of Art History, University of St. Andrews. Paper: "Getting at 'the mind of Titian' in Ruskin's Modern Painters."
- 2010 Southeastern College Art Conference, Richmond, Virginia. Paper: "Charles H. Shannon and his Patrons in the Late Victorian and Edwardian Art World."
- 2010 Research Seminar, Ruskin Library and Research Centre (University of Lancaster). Paper: " 'My Notion of Titian's Work': Ruskin's Concepts of Kingship and Venetian Depictions of Doges."
- 2008 "Ruskin, Venice, and 19th Century Cultural Travel" conference, organized by the Ruskin Centre at Lancaster University; Interdisciplinary Nineteenth Century Studies; and The Department of European and Postcolonial
- Studies of University of Ca' Foscari, Venice. Paper: "The Presentation of the Virgin: Ruskin and Images of Girlhood in Venetian Renaissance Painting."
- 2007 Southeastern College Art Conference, Charleston, West Virginia. Paper: "St. George, St. Ursula, and St. Crumpet: Carpaccio's Venice as a Model for Ruskin's Utopian Communities."
- 2007 Association of Art Historians Conference, Belfast, Northern Ireland. Paper: "Portrait of the Critic as a Young Man: John Ruskin's Childhood as Represented in James Northcote's 1822 Portrait."
- 2005 Southeastern College Art Conference, Little Rock, Arkansas. "The Pastoral as Politics in Late Victorian Painting and Prints"
- 2004 Southeastern College Art Conference, Jacksonville, Florida. "The Hypnerotomachia Poliphili as a Source for Ricketts and Shannon's Daphnis and Chloe illustrations"
- 1998 Association of Art Historians, Exeter, UK. "Charles R. Leslie's The Young Scot and the Highlander as Myth in Early Nineteenth-Century British Art and Culture"
- 2011 Lecture at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art. Title of talk: "Before Impressionism: the Parisian Art World, c. 1848-1874."
- 2010 Lecture at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art. Title of talk: "Turner versus Canaletto: Venetian Landscapes and the art criticism of John Ruskin."
- 2009 Lecture at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art. Title of talk: "Pre-Raphaelite Paintings from the Museo de Art de Ponce."
- 2009 Lecture for class, "The Two Faces of Modernity," the University of Memphis. Title of talk: "Neoclassicism and Romanticism."
- 2008-09 Lecture for seminar, "Art and Science," the University of Memphis. Title of talk: "Leonardo's Legacy."
- 2000 Lecture at the Appleton Museum of Art, Ocala, FL. "Academia, Arcadia, and Arabia: Nineteenth-century European Painting at the Appleton."
- College Art Association
- Southeastern College Art Conference
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Phi Theta Kappa
French, Italian, Spanish, German