Bioinformatics Masters Degree Program Admissions
A. Admission Requirements
Applicants must meet the University's requirements for admission to the Graduate School.
- GRE scores are required and are an important factor for admission;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, 210 on the computer-based TOEFL,
or 80 on the internet-based TOEFL (for students whose native language is not English);
- An undergraduate degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale;
- A letter of intent and statement of purpose, explaining your reasons for applying
to the Bioinformatics Program.
Satisfactory completion of the following undergraduate level courses (or their equivalents)
is required for admission to the Program. Exceptions may be made by the Program Director.
- Computer Programming (COMP 4001)
- Advanced Data Structures and Algorithms (COMP 3160)
- Calculus I and II ( MATH 1321 and 2321)
- Discrete Structures (MATH 2701)
- Introduction to Probability Theory (MATH 4635)
- Biochemistry (BIOL 4511-6511 same as CHEM 4511)
- Cell Biology (BIOL 3130)
C. Application Procedure
1. For information on how to apply to the University of Memphis Graduate
School click here
2. The following items must be sent directly to: Office of Graduate Admissions, The
University of Memphis , 101 Wilder Tower, Memphis, TN 38152-3370
3. The following items must be submitted to Bioinformatics Admission, University of
Memphis, 402 Smith Chemistry Bldg., Memphis, TN 38152.
- Submit an Application to the BINF program
- Two letters of recommendation
- Letter of intent and statement of purpose
D. Dual Majors
It is possible to obtain a Master's in Bioinformatics while working toward a Ph.D.
Degree in other fields such as Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Engineering.
Interested students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and submit a change of status application form for evaluation and approval by the Program Director. Note: You must indicate that
you will be finishing your current degree program to be considered a double major.
For more information, visit http://www.memphis.edu/binf or contact the Bioinformatics Director: Dr. Ramin Homayouni, Bioinformatics@memphis.edu.