About Dr. Parris
Dr. Parris has broad interests in amphibian population and disease ecology. He joined the University of Memphis after obtaining his PhD at the University of Missouri and a postdoc at Arizona State University. He teaches courses in Evolution, Anatomy and Physiology, Herpetology, and Population Ecology.
- Amphibian disease ecology
- Population ecology
EducationBA Biology, St. John's University, Collegeville, Minnesota; PhD (Biological Sciences), University of Missouri; Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Biology, Arizona State University
- Brem, F. M. R., M. J. Parris, and G. E. Padgett-Flohr. 2013. Re-isolating Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis from an amphibian host increases pathogenicity in a subsequent exposure. PLoS ONE 8(5): e61260. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0061260.
- Hanlon, S. M. and M. J. Parris. 2013. The interactive effects of chytrid fungus, pesticides, and exposure timing on gray treeefrog (Hyla versicolor) larvae. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry: doi: 10.1002/etc.2419.
- Hanlon, S. M., J. Kerby, and M. J. Parris. 2012. Unlikely remedy: Fungicide clears infection from pathogenic fungus in larval southern leopard frogs (Lithobates sphenocephalus). PLoS ONE: 7(8): e43573. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0043573.
- Venesky, M. D., J. Kerby, A. Storfer, and M. J. Parris. 2011. Can differences in host behavior drive patterns of disease prevalence in tadpoles? PLoS ONE 6(9): e24991. doi:10.1371/journal/pone.0024991.
- Takahashi, M., Y. Takahashi, and M. J. Parris. 2010. On the role of sexual selection in ecological divergence: a test of assortative mating in the eastern newt Notophthalmus viridescens. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 101: 884-897.
- Venesky, M. D., M. J. Parris, and A. Storfer. 2009. Effects of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis infections on larval foraging performance. EcoHealth 6: 565-575.
- Takahashi, M. and M. J. Parris. 2008. Life cycle polyphenisms as factors affecting ecological divergence of Notophthalmus viridescens subspecies. Oecologia 158: 23-34.
- Parris, M. J., A. Storfer, J. P. Collins, and E. W. Davidson. 2005. Life history responses to pathogens in Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum) larvae. Journal of Herpetology 39: 366-372.
- Parris, M. J. and T. O. Cornelius. 2004. Fungal pathogen causes competitive and developmental stress in larval amphibian communities. Ecology 85: 3385-3395.
- Parris, M. J. and J. G. Beaudoin. 2004. Chytridiomycosis impacts predator-prey interactions in larval amphibian communities. Oecologia 140: 626-632.