Instruction Curriculum Leadership
Office Location: 411 B Ball Hall
Phone: (901) 678-4080
- Powell, A., & Reynolds, S.(2001). Fated, disregarded and overlooked: African American mathematics education. Journal of Thought, 36(1), 67-76.
- Kelly, J., Stetson, R., & Powell-Mikle, A. (2002). Science adventures at the local museum. Science & Children, 39(7), 46-48.
- Powell-Mikle, A. (2003). We are more than numbers! African American students' perceptions of exemplary mathematics teachers. International Journal of Education Reform, 12, 84-96.
- Powell-Mikle, A., & Patton, M. (2004). The geometry of quilts: Funpacks and the African American experience. Childhood Education, 80, 187-190.
- Powell, A., & Zhou, C. (2004). It takes only a spark! In M.F. Chappell & T. Pateracki (Eds.) Searching for solutions: A guide for empowering the beginning teacher of mathematics (p 15). Reston, VA: NCTM.
- Daane, C. J., Lowery, P. K., & Powell, A. (Spring 1998). Activities pages. Alabama Journal of Mathematics, 22(1), 49-54.
- Rousseau, C., & Powell, A. (2005). Understanding the significance of context: A framework to examine equity and reform in secondary mathematics. High School Journal 88(4), 19-31.
- Perkins, J. H., Powell, A., & Key, S. (2006). The power of vocabulary knowledge: Social studies, science and mathematics. Tennessee's Children, (1), 25-30.
- Ray, B., Powell, A., & Strickland, J. (2006). Technology integration and the pre-service teacher: A roadmap for reflection and observation during early field experiences teaching & learning. The Journal of Natural Inquiry & Reflective Practice, 21, 30-51.
- Powell, A., & Berry, R. (2007). Achieving success: Voices of successful African American mathematics students. In M. Brown & R. Bartee (Eds.). Still not equal: Expanding educational opportunity in society (pp.167-175). New York: Peter Lang.
Powell, A., & Anderson, C. R. (Winter, 2007-2008). Educators, parents and numeracy: Partnerships for successful African American students. Childhood Education, 84, 70-74.
- Daane, C. J., Lowery, P. K., & Powell, A. (Fall 1998). Activities pages. Alabama Journal of Mathematics, 22(2), 44-50.
- Powell, A. (2005). Creating a caring community in math class. Eisenhower National Clearing House Focus Review,12,(20) 9-12.
- Anderson, C. R. & Powell, A. (2009). " Metropolitan Perspective on Mathematics Education: Lessons Learned from a “Rural” School District" Journal of Urban Mathematics Education,2 (1), 5-21.
- Powell, A. & Seed, A. H. (March, 2010). Developing a caring ethic for middle school mathematics classrooms. Middle School Journal 41(4). 44-48.
Return to Department