Health Sport Sciences
Office Location: 314 Fieldhouse
Phone: (901) 678-3475
- *Whitehead PN, Schilling BK, Peterson D, Et al. Possible New Modalities for the Navy Physical Readiness Test. Military Medicine, 177 (11): 1417-1425, 2012.
- Reed JP, Schilling BK, Murlasits Z. Acute neuromuscular and metabolic responses to concurrent endurance and resistance exercise. J Strength Cond Res. 2012 May 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Farney TM, McCarthy CG, Canale RE, Schilling BK, Whitehead PN, Bloomer RJ. Absence of blood oxidative stress in trained men after strenuous exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012 Oct;44(10):1855-63.
- *McAllister MJ, Schilling BK, Hammond KG, Weiss LW, Farney TM. Effect of Grip Width on Electromyographic Activity During the Upright Row. J Strength Cond Res. 2012 Feb 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bloomer RJ, Alleman RJ Jr, Cantrell GS, Farney TM, Schilling BK. Effects of 2-nitrooxy ethyl 2-amino 3-methylbutanoate gel on resistance exercise performance and blood nitrate/nitrite in resistance trained men. J Strength Cond Res. 2012 Jun;26(6):1680-7.
- Schilling BK. Minimalist Footwear in Strength and Conditioning. February 2012. http://www.nsca-lift.org/HotTopic/download/201203-Hot Topic.pdf
- Feldmann CR, Weiss LW, Schilling BK, Whitehead PN. Association Of Drop Vertical Jump Displacement With Select Performance VariablesJ Strength Cond Res. 2012
- Galpin AJ, Fry AC, Chiu LZ, Thomason DB, Schilling BK. High-power resistance exercise induces MAPK phosphorylation in weightlifting trained men. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012
- *Whitehead PN, Schilling BK, Farney TM and Bloomer RJ. Impact of a Dietary Supplement Containing 1,3-Dimethylamylamine on Blood Pressure and Bloodborne Markers of Health: a 10-Week Intervention Study. Nutrition and Metabolic Insights 2012:5 33–39
- Paulus DC, Settlage DM, Schilling BK. Comparison of isoinertial to simulated inertial force from a controlled resistance exercise device for spaceflight - biomed 2011. Biomed Sci Instrum. 2011;47:41-5.
- Brian K. Schilling. The Practical Utilization of Augmented Eccentric Loading (AEL). October, 2011. http://nsca-lift.org/hottopic/viewhottopic.asp
A.C. Fry, B.K. Schilling, S.J. Fleck, W.J. Kraemer. Relationships Between Competitive Wrestling Success And Neuroendocrine Responses. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 25(1): 40–45, 2011.
- *Ferreira LC, Schilling BK, Weiss LW, Fry AC, Chiu LZ.Reach height and jump displacement: implications for standardization of reach determination. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Jun;24(6):1596-601.
- Schilling, B.K., R.F. Pfeiffer, M.S. LeDoux, R.E. Karlage, R.J. Bloomer, and M.J. Falvo. Effects of moderate volume, high-load lower-body resistance training on strength and function in persons with Parkinson’s disease: A pilot study. Parkinson's disease, Article ID 824734, 6 pages, 2010
- Falvo, M.J., B.K. Schilling, R.J. Bloomer, and W.A. Smith. Repeated bout effect is absent in resistance trained men: An electromyographic analysis. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 10(6), 2009 pp. e529-e535
- Ferreira, LC., L.W. Weiss, K.G.Hammond, and B.K. Schilling. Structural and functional predictors of drop vertical jump. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, In Press 2010.
- Bloomer, R.J., D.E. Ferebee, K. H. Fisher-Wellman, J.C. Quindry, and B.K. Schilling. Postprandial oxidative stress: Influence of sex and exercise training status. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 41, 2009.
- Schilling, B.K., R.E. Karlage, M.S. LeDoux, R.F. Pfeiffer, L.W. Weiss, and M.J. Falvo. Impaired leg extensor strength in individuals with Parkinson's Disease and relatedness to functional mobility. Parkinsonsim and Related Disorders, 15: 776-780, 2009.
- Bloomer, R.J., R.E.Canale , M.M Blankenship, K.G. Hammond, K.H. Fisher-Wellman, and Schilling BK. Effect of the dietary supplement Meltdown on catecholamine secretion, markers of lipolysis, and metabolic rate in men and women: a randomized, placebo controlled, cross-over study. Lipids in Health and Disease 2009 Aug 5;8:32.
- Schilling, B.K., M.J. Falvo, R.E. Karlage, L.W. Weiss, C.A. Lohnes, and L.Z.F. Chiu. Effects of unstable surface training on measures of balance in older adults. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 23:1211-1216,2009.
- Paulus D.C. and Schilling B.K. Ground reaction force comparison of bilateral symmetry with pneumatic resistance squat device and free weights - biomed 2009. Biomed Sci Instrum. 45:419-23, 2009.
- Bloomer R.J., K.H. Fisher-Wellman, K.G. Hammond, B.K. Schilling, A.A. Weber, and B.J. Cole. Dietary supplement increases plasma norepinephrine, lipolysis, and metabolic rate in resistance trained men. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 10, 2009
- Galpin A.J., Y. Li, C.A. Lohnes, and B.K. Schilling. A 4-week choice foot speed and choice reaction training program improves agility in previously non-agility trained, but active men and women. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 22:1901-1907, 2008.
- Paulus D, M. Reynolds and B.K. Schilling. Validity and reliability of a controlled pneumatic resistance exercise device. Biomed Sci Instrum 44:53-58, 2008
- Schilling, B.K., M.J. Falvo, and L.Z.F. Chiu. Force-Velocity, Impulse-Momentum: Implications for efficacy of resistance training methods. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 7;299 - 304 , 2008.
- Bloomer, R.J., B.K. Schilling, R.E. Karlage, M.S. Ledoux, R.F. Pfeiffer, and J. Callegari. Effect of resistance exercise training on blood oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 40:1385-1389, 2008.
- Falvo, M.J., B.K. Schilling, and G.M. Earhart. Parkinson’s Disease and Resistive Exercise: Rationale, Review, and Recommendations. Movement Disorders, 23: 1-11, 2008.
- Chiu, L.Z.F, B.K. Schillling, A.C.Fry, and G.J. Salem. The influence of deformation on barbell mechanics during a weightlifting pull. Sports Biomechanics,: 260–273, 2008.
*Barnes, J.L, B.K. Schilling, M.J. Falvo, L.W. Weiss, A.K. Creasy and A.C. Fry. Force-time measures during jumping and agility performance in female volleyball athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 21:1192–1196, 2007.
- Falvo, M.J., B. K. Schilling, R.J. Bloomer, W.A. Smith, and A.C. Creasy Efficacy of prior eccentric exercise in attenuating impaired exercise performance after muscle injury in resistance trained men. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 21:1053–1060, 2007.
- *Moore, C.A., L.W. Weiss, B.K. Schilling, A.C. Fry and Y. Li. Acute effects of augmented eccentric loading on jump squat performance. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 21:157-162, 2007.
- Bloomer, R.J., M.J. Falvo, A.C. Fry, B.K. Schilling, W.A. Smith, and C.A. Moore. Oxidative stress response in trained men following repeated squats or sprints. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 38: 1436-1442, 2006.
- *Falvo, M.J, B.K. Schilling and L.W. Weiss. Techniques and considerations for determining isoinertial upper-body power. Sports Biomechanics, 5:293-311, 2006.
- Bloomer, R.J., A.C. Fry, B.K. Schilling, L.Z.F. Chiu, N. Hori, and L. Weiss. Astaxanthin supplementation does not attenuate muscle injury following eccentric exercise in resistance-trained men. International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism, 15:401-412, 2005.
- Chiu, L.Z.F. and B.K. Schilling. A primer on weightlifting: From sport to sports training. Strength and Conditioning Journal 27:42-48, 2005.
- *Moore, C.A., and B.K. Schilling. Theory and application of augmented eccentric loading. Strength and Conditioning Journal,27:20-27, 2005.
- Schilling, B., A. Fry, L. Chiu, and L. Weiss. Myosin heavy chain isoforms expression and in-vivo isometric performance: A regression model. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 19:270-275, 2005.
- Schilling, B.K., A.C. Fry, L.W. Weiss and L.Z.F. Chiu. Myosin heavy chain isoform expression: Influence on isoinertial and isometric performance. Research in Sports Medicine, 13:301-315, 2005.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., A.C. Fry, B.K. Schilling, E.J. Johnson, and L.W. Weiss. Neuromuscular fatigue and potentiation following two successive high intensity resistance exercise sessions. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 92: 385-392, 2004.
- Chiu, L.Z.F. and B.K. Schilling. The stop clean and stop snatch: An alternative to the hang. Strength and Conditioning, 26: 10-12, 2004.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., A.C. Fry, L.W. Weiss, B.K. Schilling, L.E. Brown, and S.L. Smith. Postactivation potentiation response in athletic and recreationally trained individuals. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 17: 617-677, 2003.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., B.K. Schilling, A.C. Fry, and L.W. Weiss. Measurement of resistance exercise force expression. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 20:204-212, 2003.
- Stone M.H., H.S. O’Bryant, L.B. McCoy, R.H. Coglianese, M. Lehmkuhl, B.K. Schilling. Power and maximum strength relationships during performance of dynamic and static weighted jumps. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 17:140-147, 2003.
- Fry, A.C., and B.K. Schilling. Weightlifting training and hormonal responses in adolescent males: Implications for program design. Strength and Conditioning, 24:7-12, 2002.
- Schilling, B.K., M. H. Stone, H.S. O’Bryant, A.C. Fry, R.H. Coglianese, and K.C. Pierce. Snatch technique of collegiate national level weightlifters. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 16: 551–555, 2002.
- Schilling, B.K., M.H. Stone, A. Utter, J.T. Kearney, M. Johnson, R.H. Coglianese, L. Smith, H.S. O’Bryant, A.C. Fry, M. Starks, R.E. Keith, and M.E. Stone. Creatine supplementation and health variables: A retrospective study. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise 33: 183-188, 2001.
- Schilling, B.K. and M.H. Stone. Stretching: Acute effects on strength and power performance. Strength and Conditioning, 22:44-47, 2000.
Return to Department