Health Sport Sciences
Office Location: 314 Fieldhouse
Phone: (901) 678-3475
- Schilling, BK and Hammond, K.G. Resistance Training for Parkinson's Disease. In, Resistance Training for the Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Disease. Ciccolo and Kraemer, Ed., CRC Press, 2013.
- Schilling, BK.Therapeutic Potential of Exercise in Parkinson's Disease. In, Parkinson's Disease, 2nd Edition. Pfeiffer, Wszolek, Ebadi Ed. CRC Press, 2012.
- * Indicates student authorship mentored by Dr. Schilling.
- *Harry JR, Paquette MR, Caia JP, Townsend RJ, Weiss LW, and Schilling BK. The Effects of Footwear Condition on Maximal Jumping Performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, in press.
- *DeForest BA, Cantrell GS, Schilling BK. Muscle Activity in Single- vs. Double-Leg Squats. International Journal of Exercise Science (In Press, 2014).
*McAllister MJ, Hammond KG, Schilling BK, Ferreria LC, Reed JP,
Weiss LW. Muscle activation during various hamstring exercises. J Strength Cond
*Whitehead PN, Schilling BK, Stone MH, Kilgore JL,
Chiu LZF. Snatch technique of United States national level weightlifters. J
Strength Cond Res. 2014.
Weiss LW, DeForest B, Hammond KG, Schilling BK, Ferreira LC. Reliability
of goniometry-based Q-angle. PM R. 2013 Sep;5(9):763-8.
*McAllister MJ, Schilling BK, Hammond KG, Weiss LW,
Farney TM. Effect of grip width on electromyographic activity during the
upright row. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Jan;27(1):181-7.
Schilling BK, Hammond KG, Bloomer RJ, Presley CS, Yates CR.
Physiological and pharmacokinetic effects of oral 1,3-dimethylamylamine
administration in men. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2013 Oct 4;14:52.
- Reed JP, Schilling BK, Murlasits Z. Acute neuromuscular and metabolic responses to concurrent endurance and resistance exercise. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Mar;27(3):793-801
- *Whitehead PN, Schilling BK, Peterson D, Et al. Possible New Modalities for the Navy Physical Readiness Test. Military Medicine, 177 (11): 1417-1425, 2012.
- Farney TM, McCarthy CG, Canale RE, Schilling BK, Whitehead PN, Bloomer RJ. Absence of blood oxidative stress in trained men after strenuous exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012 Oct;44(10):1855-63.
- Bloomer RJ, Alleman RJ Jr, Cantrell GS, Farney TM, Schilling BK. Effects of 2-nitrooxy ethyl 2-amino 3-methylbutanoate gel on resistance exercise performance and blood nitrate/nitrite in resistance trained men. J Strength Cond Res. 2012 Jun;26(6):1680-7.
- Schilling BK. Minimalist Footwear in Strength and Conditioning. February 2012. http://www.nsca-lift.org/HotTopic/download/201203-Hot Topic.pdf
- Feldmann CR, Weiss LW, Schilling BK, Whitehead PN. Association Of Drop Vertical Jump Displacement With Select Performance VariablesJ Strength Cond Res. 2012
- Galpin AJ, Fry AC, Chiu LZ, Thomason DB, Schilling BK. High-power resistance exercise induces MAPK phosphorylation in weightlifting trained men. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012
*Whitehead PN, Schilling BK, Farney TM and Bloomer RJ.
Impact of a dietary supplement containing 1,3-dimethylamylamine on blood
pressure and bloodborne markers of health: a 10-week intervention study. Nutr
Metab Insights. 2012:5 33–39
- Paulus DC, Settlage DM, Schilling BK. Comparison of isoinertial to simulated inertial force from a controlled resistance exercise device for spaceflight - biomed 2011. Biomed Sci Instrum. 2011;47:41-5.
- Brian K. Schilling. The Practical Utilization of Augmented Eccentric Loading (AEL). October, 2011. http://nsca-lift.org/hottopic/viewhottopic.asp
Fry AC, Schilling BK, Fleck SJ, Kraemer WJ. Relationships between
competitive wrestling success and neuroendocrine responses. J Strength Cond Res.
- *Ferreira LC, Schilling BK, Weiss LW, Fry AC, Chiu LZ.Reach height and jump displacement: implications for standardization of reach determination. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Jun;24(6):1596-601.
- Schilling BK, Pfeiffer RF, LeDoux MS, Karlage RE, Bloomer RJ, Falvo MJ. Effects of moderate volume, high-load lower-body resistance training on strength and function in persons with Parkinson’s Disease: a pilot study. Parkinson's Disease, Article ID 824734, 6 pages, 2010.
Falvo MJ, Schilling BK, Bloomer RJ, Smith WA. Repeated bout effect is absent
in resistance trained men: an electromyographic analysis. J Electromyogr
- Ferreira, LC., L.W. Weiss, K.G.Hammond, and B.K. Schilling. Structural and functional predictors of drop vertical jump. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(9); 2456-2467.
Karlage RE, LeDoux MS, Pfeiffer RF, Weiss LW, Falvo MJ. Impaired leg extensor strength in individuals
with Parkinson's Disease and relatedness to functional mobility. Parkinsonsim
and Related Disorders. 2009;15:776-780.
Falvo MJ, Karlage RE, Weiss LW, Lohnes CA, Chiu LZF. Effects of unstable
surface training on measures of balance in older adults. J Strength Cond Res.
- Paulus D.C. and Schilling B.K. Ground reaction force comparison of bilateral symmetry with pneumatic resistance squat device and free weights - biomed 2009. Biomed Sci Instrum. 45:419-23, 2009.
Galpin AJ, Li Y, Lohnes CA, Schilling BK. A 4-week choice foot
speed and choice reaction training program improves agility in previously
non-agility trained, but active men and women. J Strength Cond Res.
- Paulus D, M. Reynolds and B.K. Schilling. Validity and reliability of a controlled pneumatic resistance exercise device. Biomed Sci Instrum 44:53-58, 2008
Falvo MJ, Chiu LZF. Force-velocity,
impulse-momentum: implications for efficacy of resistance training methods. J
Sports Sci Med. 2008;7:299-304.
RJ, Schilling BK, Karlage RE, Ledoux
MS, Pfeiffer RF, Callegari J. Effect of
resistance exercise training on blood oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease.
Med Sci Sports Exercise. 2008;40:1385-1389.
MJ, Schilling BK, Earhart GM. Parkinson’s
disease and resistive exercise: rationale, review, and recommendations. Mov
LZF, Schilling BK, Fry AC, Salem GJ. The influence of deformation on barbell
mechanics during a weightlifting pull. Sports Biomechanics. 2008;260–273.
JL, Schilling BK, Falvo MJ, Weiss
LW, Creasy AK, Fry AC. Force-time
measures during jumping and agility performance in female volleyball athletes.
J Strength Cond Res. 2007;21:1192–1196.
Falvo MJ, Schilling BK, Bloomer RJ, Smith WA, Creasy AC. Efficacy of prior
eccentric exercise in attenuating impaired exercise performance after muscle
injury in resistance trained men. J Strength Cond Res. 2007;21:1053–1060.
*Moore CA, Weiss LW, Schilling BK, Fry AC, Li Y. Acute effects of augmented eccentric loading
on jump squat performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2007;21:157-162.
Bloomer RJ, Falvo MJ, Fry AC, Schilling BK, Smith WA, Moore CA.
Oxidative stress response in trained men following repeated squats or sprints.
Med Sci Sports Exercise. 2006; 38:1436-1442.
*Falvo MJ, Schilling BK, Weiss LW. Techniques and considerations for
determining isoinertial upper-body power.
Sports Biomechanics. 2006;5:293-311.
Chiu LZF, Schilling BK. A primer on weightlifting: from sport to sports
training. Strength and Conditioning Journal.
*Moore CA, Schilling BK. Theory and application of augmented eccentric loading.
Strength and Conditioning Journal. 2005;27:20-27.
Schilling BK, Fry AC, Chiu LZF, Weiss LW. Myosin heavy chain
isoforms expression and in-vivo isometric performance: a regression model. J
Strength Cond Res. 2005;19:270-275.
Schilling BK, Fry AC, Weiss LW, Chiu LZF. Myosin heavy chain
isoform expression: influence on isoinertial and isometric performance. Research in Sports Medicine. 2005;13:301-315.
Chiu LZF, Fry AC, Schilling BK, Johnson EJ, Weiss LW. Neuromuscular
fatigue and potentiation following two successive high intensity resistance
exercise sessions. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2004;92:385-392.
Chiu LZF, Schilling
BK, Fry AC, Weiss LW. Measurement of
resistance exercise force expression. J
Appl Biomech. 2004;20:204-212.
Chiu LZF, Schilling BK. The stop clean and stop snatch: an alternative to the
hang. Strength Cond. 2004;26:10-12.
Chiu LZF, Fry AC, Weiss LW, Schilling BK, Brown LE, Smith SL.
Postactivation potentiation response in athletic and recreationally trained
individuals. J Strength Cond Res.
Chiu LZF, Schilling BK, Fry AC, Weiss LW. Measurement of resistance exercise
force expression. J Appl Biomech. 2003;20:204-212.
Fry AC, Schilling BK. Weightlifting training and hormonal responses in
adolescent males: implications for program design. Strength Cond. 2002;24:7-12.
Schilling BK, Stone MH, O’Bryant HS, Fry AC, Coglianese RH,
Pierce KC. Snatch technique of
collegiate national level weightlifters. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16:551–555.
Schilling BK, Stone MH, Utter A, Kearney JT, Johnson M, Coglianese RH, Smith L, O’Bryant HS, Fry AC, Starks
M, Keith RE, Stone ME. Creatine supplementation
and health variables: a retrospective study. Med Sci Sport Exercise.
Schilling BK, Stone MH. Stretching: acute effects on strength and
power performance. Strength Cond. 2000,22:44-47.
Return to Department