RUTH WILLIAMS- HOOKER
Health Sport Sciences
Office Location: 161 Field House
Phone: (901) 678-3108
Williams-Hooker R, Mullins-Nelson B, Hinds P. A New Model for Explaining Obesity in African American Women: A Blended Approach. Scholars' Press Publishing, Saarbrücken, Germany. 2013.
- 2013- Reviewer for Quality of Life Research
- 2013 Reviewer-Journal of Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine
- Williams R. ASPEN Nutrition Support Patient Education Manual. Addris D, Krywda EA, eds. ASPEN, Silver Spring, MD. 2008.
- Williams R. Sickle Cell Disease. In ADA's Internet based Nutrition Care Manual. Joanne Larsen, ed. American Dietetics Association. 2004.
- 2013 Reviewer- The Digest- RPG Newsletter
- 2009- Cancer Digest
- Williams R, Smith K. Nutrition Assessment in the Pediatric Oncology Patient. In The Clinical Guide to Oncology Nutrition. pp 99-104. PD McCallum & CG Polisena, eds. The American Dietetic Association. 2000.
- Klyce K, Smith K, Williams R. Nutrition for the Cancer Patient. In Childhood Cancer: A Handbook from St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. pp 243-254. G. Steen & J. Mirro, eds. Perseus Books. 2000.
- 2009-Nancy Hudson. Management Practice in Dietetics. Belmont CA: Wadsworth, Thompson Learning
- Bowman L, Hudson M, Gajjar A, Sanders M, Gregornik D, Ringwald-Smith K, Williams R, Thompson K, Lussier, K, Todd J, Howard V, Bagwell, B. The MISS Handbook. The Metabolic and Infusion Support Policy and Procedure Manual. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. 1998.
- 2008-Family and Consumer Science Research Journal
- Williams R. 2007 FNCE Travel Award Winner Report. Presentation by Carol Ruth Boushey. A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.: Kaptan-Meier. The Digest, 42 (4).
- 2006 - Evidenced Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine; Pediatric Blood and Cancer.
- 2005 - Pediatric Research
- 2005- ADA's Internet based Nutrition Care Manual
- 2005-Journal of the American Dietetic Association
- 2004, 2005 -Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- 2003-Journal of Pediatrics
- 2003 Nutrition Support Panel Member, National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- 2001-Cancer Practice
- Williams-Hooker R, Adams M, Havrilla DA, Leung W, Roach R, Mosby TT. Caregivers and health care providers' preferences of nutritional support in a hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT) unit. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing. Submitted December 2013.
- Williams-Hooker R, Stockton MB, Igoe Yeoman K, Roach R. Predictors of Successful Passing of the Registered Dietitian Exam. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. Submitted Dec 2013.
- Williams-Hooker R, Draper K, Cashion A, Eady CO. Fruit and vegetable intake are correlated to less weight gain after renal transplant. Progress in Transplantation. Submitted Dec 2013.
- Wagner O, Ahmed A , Williams-Hooker R, Roach R, Polly D. The relationship between dental health and nutrition risk factors in home bound senior citizens. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Submitted Oct 2013.
Williams-Hooker R, Ringwald Smith K, Hankins J, Shurley TA, Stockton MB, Evaluation of Hydration Status, Sodium and Fluid Intake in Children with Sickle Cell Anemia. (2013) Journal of Blood Disorders and Transfusion. 4(143). doi:10.4172/2155-9864.1000143
Williams-Hooker R, George EO, Levy M, Morgan C, Smith TL, Bittle JB. Calcium and Vitamin D Intake of Boys Who Have Autism ICAN: Infant, Child, & Adolescent Nutrition. (2013) 5(2): 113-117. doi:10.1177/1941406413478167
Williams-Hooker R, Olivi S, Smeltzer MP, Wang WC (2012) Health- Related Quality of Life is Associated with Hemoglobin Level in Children with Sickle Cell Anemia. J Blood Disorders Transf 3:129. doi:10.4172/2155-9864.1000129
Williams R, Stockton MB, Beck KB, Roach R, Levy M, et al. (2012) A Culturally Tailored, Faith-Based Approach to Reducing Pediatric Obesity in Minority Families: Strong Me! J Obes Wt Loss Ther 2:122. doi:10.4172/2165-7904.1000122
- Cupples CK, Cashion AK, Cowan PA, Tutor RS, Wicks MN, Williams R, Eason JD. Characterizing dietary intake and physical activity affecting weight gain in kidney transplant recipients. Progress in Transplantation. 2012; 22(1).
Mosby TT, Griffith LK, Jones M, Allen G, Yang J, Wang C, Leung W, Williams R. Comparing administration of nutrition support with prescribed dose. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2011 Sep-Oct;28(5):273-86.
- Fowler Katherine T.; Williams Ruth; Mitchell Carol O.; Levy Marian C.; Pope Lucille F.; Smeltzer Matthew P.; Wang Winfred C. Fluid and sodium intake in children and adolescents with sickle cell anemia. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. 32(5):350-353, July 2010.
- Nething J, Ringwald-Smith K, Williams R, Hancock ML, Hale GA. Establishing the use of body mass index as an indicator of nutrition risk in children with cancer. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, 31(1):53-57, 2007
- Williams R, Olivi S, Li C-S, Storm M, Cremer L, Mackert P, Wang W. Oral glutamine supplementation decreases resting energy expenditure in children and adolescents with sickle cell anemia. Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, 26(10): 619-625, 2004.
- Williams R, Hinds PS, Ke W, Hu XJ. A comparison of calorie and protein intake in hospitalized pediatric oncology patients dining with a caregiver versus patients dining alone: A randomized, prospective clinical trial. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing, 21(4): 223-232, 2004.
- Williams R, Mackert P, Fletcher L, Olivi S, Tian G-L, Wang W. Comparison of energy prediction equations to measured resting energy in children with sickle cell anemia. Journal of The American Dietetic Association, 102 (7): 956-961, 2002.
- Buchowski MS, Townsend KM, Williams R, Chen KY. Patterns and energy expenditure of free-living physical activity in adolescents with sickle cell disease. Journal of Pediatrics, 140(1):86-92, 2002.
- Ringwald-Smith K, Ludwig M, Williams R, Thompson A, Bowman L, Hale G, Shochat S, Liu A, Barkley C. Comparison of two different low profile gastrostomy enteral feeding devices in pediatric oncology patients. Nutrition in Clinical Practice, 15:189-192, 2000.
- Todd J, Schmidt M, Williams R, Christian J. Controversies in Cancer Care: The low bacteria diet for immunocompromised patients: reasonable prudence or clinical superstition? The Cancer Practice Journal, 205-207, 1999
- Ringwald-Smith K, Williams R, Mackert B, Stricklin L, Sargent T, Bowman L. Comparison of energy expenditure equations with measured energy expenditure in obese adolescent patients with cancer. Journal of The American Dietetic Association 99: 844-848, 1999.
- Eck-Clemens L, Slawson, DL, Williams R, Smith K. Well defined outcomes documentation needed. Journal of The American Dietetic Association 99: 16-17, 1999 [Letter to the Editor].
- Bowman L, Williams R, Sanders M, Smith K, Baker D, Gajjar A. An algorithm for nutrition support: Experience of the Metabolic and Infusion Support Service of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. International Journal of Cancer Supplement II: 76-80, 1998.
- Ringwald-Smith K, Williams R, Horwitz E. Schmidt M. Determination of energy expenditure in the bone marrow transplant patient. Nutrition in Clinical Practice 13(5): 215-218, 1998.
- Williams R, Virtue K, Adkins A. Patient room service improves patient food intake and satisfaction with hospital food. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing 15(3): 183-189, 1998.
- Eck LH, Slawson DL, Williams R, Smith K. A model for making outcomes research standard practice in clinical dietetics. Journal of The American Dietetic Association 98:451-457, 1998.
- Williams R, Wang W. Nutrition assessment in children with sickle cell anemia. Journal of the Association for Academic Minority Physicians 8:44-48, 1997.
- Mathew P, Bowman L, Williams R, Jones D, Rao B, Schropp K, Warren B, Klyce MK, Whitington G, Hudson, M. Complications and effectiveness of gastrostomy feedings in pediatric cancer patients. Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology 18:81-85, 1996.
- Williams R, Wang W. Managing osteopetrosis in children: A nutrition challenge. Journal of The American Dietetic Association 96:172-175, 1996.
Return to Department