|Until further notice, the SPED Institute Grant Program is no longer accepting applications.
The University of Memphis
Building 48, Room 102
4111 South MSU B Street
Memphis, TN 38152
(901) 678-1740 - Office Number
(901) 678-2243 - FAX Number
What is the Special Education Institute?
The Institute is a tuition assistance program for special educators who teach in Tennessee
on a waiver or permit. Participants receive full tuition for courses that lead to
licensure in special education.
Special educators who teach in Tennessee on a waiver, permit, or alternative license
are eligible to participate in the University of Memphis Special Education Institute.
Furthermore, special education assistants are also eligible to participate in the
Applicants must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75.
Who are Teachers on Waiver?
Teachers on waiver are licensed teachers, seeking special education endorsement.
Who are Teachers on Permit?
Teachers on permit are individuals who teach but do not have teaching licenses in
- Teachers on waiver can complete the program in less than a year, and teachers on permit
can complete the program in about 18 months.
- However, the state of Tennessee requires that participants complete the program in
Institute applicants must submit the following:
- Official letter of admission to graduate school.
- All participants must be admitted to the University of Memphis graduate school as
a degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking student.
- Additional information and the graduate school application.
- A completed application to the Special Education Institute.
- A completed Instruction and Curriculum Leadership master's of art in teaching/licensure
only/teacher education program application.
Need Assistance Keeping
Track of the Steps in the Institute Application Process? Download or Print the Special Education Institute Checklist!
Need Additional Information?
Contact the Institute Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.