CERI is devoted to understanding the causes and consequences of earthquakes and the structure and evolution of the continental lithosphere. CERI addresses these needs through cutting-edge research, comprehensive graduate student education, operation of state-of-the-art seismic and GPS networks, and dissemination of technical and practical information to the private and public sectors.
We challenge ourselves to revolutionize the scientific understanding of the dynamics of the continental lithosphere and related natural hazards while serving as an international resource for data collection and dissemination. We also challenge ourselves to serve the University of Memphis by facilitating interdisciplinary research and education and to serve the public by providing authoritative scientific education and information.
In order to perform our mission and fulfill our vision, the faculty, staff, students, and associates of CERI value:
- Respect, collegiality, and civility in all personal interactions
- Excellence in science, service, and education
- Scientific and professional Integrity
- Free and open discourse of diverse scientific ideas
- Open access to data, data products, and scientific exchange
- Transparency in governance
- Teamwork and mentoring