Frequently Asked Questions

Logistic Related

  • Where will the students stay while they are in China? Host families, school dormitories, or hotels? They will stay in school dormitories. The host school will provide student housing appropriate for accommodating international students. Every two students will share one unit (the teachers in charge will have a single-bed unit). The dormitory buildings have telephone lines, air conditioner, laundry facility and a lounge space.

  • What (daily necessities) do students need to bring with for daily life? Students will live in school dorm while in China. Usually there are basins, towels, soaps, slippers, shampoo etc. in the dorm. Students would need to bring daily clothes, casual shoes, general medicine, and other essentials they need in daily life, such as make-up, umbrellas, etc. If students take medicine regularly for asthma, diabetes, and so on, they should bring all medicine in original bottles and with a note from doctor in the U.S. in case of emergency.

  • How do students do their laundry? Usually there are several automatic washing machines in the dorm. The host schools will make arrangements for students to do their laundry. They will either distribute washing cards/access for students to do laundry themselves or collect students' clothes or do laundry for them.

  • What type of food will be served to the students every day? Is it all Asian food or some western food? The host school will provide food that is rich in flavor, and suitable to foreigners' taste. Special dietary issues will be addressed for vegetarians, students with food allergies, etc.

  • Will students have access to the Internet or international phones? Can students contact their families or are the parents able to contact them if needed? The host schools all have computer rooms where students can log onto the Internet and send emails to their families and friends. Also there are international phones in student dormitory for calling home. We will provide the contact person of each host school to parents before students depart for China. Thus, when parents cannot contact their children, they could call the contact person in the host school. Students will always have a chaperone with them at all times.

  • If the camps are set up in the schools, what type of schools specifically? The host schools are some of the top elementary and/or secondary schools selected by Hanban to assist in promoting the Chinese language and culture. These schools are usually experienced in international education exchanges. They have enough qualified Chinese language teachers and staff, as well as enough facilities for students' entertainment, sports, and medication.

  • How do parents communicate with their child and chaperone? How do students communicate with their family at the U.S. while in China? There are telephones and computer rooms in host schools and students can call their families or send emails. The host school will provide a phone number with 24 hour access for parents finding their children.
  • Insurance

  • What is the international health insurance? Is it mandatory to have for every student who goes to the camp to be insured? Every student has to purchase international health insurance. Once students arrive in China, some of them might become sick. If they need to be sent to a hospital, their international health insurance will cover the cost. Of course if they are just minor cases, the host school's infirmary will help deal with this. In addition to the sickness, there might be other emergencies. In order to deal with these emergencies appropriately, we require that students purchase international health insurance.
  • Money

  • How much spending money should each student bring? Hanban will provide all meals, accommodations, travel, and costs associated with visiting historic locations and venues in China. Approximately 1,500-2,000 RMB ($200-300 USD) should be enough. If the children want to buy something, they can use a credit/debit card in most of the major cities. Please make sure they have cash as well. Some of the places they will visit will only accept RMB.

  • How much currency should be exchanged before departure? You may have to contact the main branch of your bank if you wish to exchange some money ahead of time. Otherwise, it is not necessary to exchange too much money before departure. Students will be able to exchange USD to RMB in the airport through the Bank of China. When they arrive at the host schools in province, the schools will also make arrangements for currency exchange.

  • Should students bring a credit/debit card? Which cards work the best? A Visa or Master card can be used in most supermarkets and department stores. Remember there could be extra service fees charged to your card if you use it. Check with your bank before you depart for China.
  • Clothing

  • Should students pack a swimsuit? Yes, pack a swimsuit.

  • What types of dress clothing are needed?

    Boys should bring at least one dressy outfit for dinner and/or the opening and closing ceremony. This can include a pair of dress pants and nice polo shirt or short sleeve button down. Coats and ties are not necessary.

    Girls should bring a dress or skirt of modern length or dressy pants for more formal activities. This can be paired with a number of dressier tops but it is better they not wear sleeveless or spaghetti strap tank tops or shirts that show midriff.

  • What type of shoes should students bring? Students may spend a lot of time walking, so comfortable solid shoes are recommended. (Chaco, Teva, or Reef brands are a great travel option. They are versatile and easy to pack.) Students should easily be able to pack three pairs of shoes: one pair of flip flops (shower shoes)/casual sandals, tennis shoes, and dressier casual shoes that are not tennis shoes.
  • Medication

  • If students get sick, what should they do? Students should alert their chaperons if they feel ill. First aid kits will be available at all times, and the host school will provide transportation to local hospitals in case of an emergency.

  • Are all medicines self-administered? Host schools will have contact for local hospitals. If students take medicine regularly for asthma, diabetes, etc. these medicines should be self-administered. Please bring all medicine in original bottles and with a note from doctor in the U. S. in case of emergency. Students may want to bring extra prescriptions with them for important medicines. Pack all medicines in carry-on luggage. General medicines will be available at the host school.

  • Will the students be requiring any additional immunizations for their trip? In China, it is ruled by Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau (出入境检验检疫局) that people going abroad have to take body examination to receive Health Certificate for International Travel(《国际旅行健康检查证明书》). They are also required additional immunizations according to the countries they will stay in, and then receive Preventive Inoculation Certificate for International Travel(《国际预防接种证书》).

    In U.S. we suggest that you refer to related agency for the injections required for the trip to China.

  • Others

  • Will students need to bring adaptors for electronics? Students will need to use adaptors to plug in any electronics. Voltage is 220 in China (compared to 110 in the U.S.). Students will need to purchase a voltage and outlet converter for certain electronic devices (i.e., hair dryer, curling iron). Most laptops, tablets, and smart phones made within the last few years are dual voltage and will only need an adapter. Be sure to check the students electronic devices to determine the adapter/converter they will need. They will need to have this before they arrive in China.

  • Does the student need to bring "gifts" from home for the host families, school children, etc.? Students should bring small gifts that represent U.S. to give to the host families or other friends made during the trip. Please do not spend a lot of money on these gifts. It is the thought that matters. Please make sure your gifts are easy to pack.