COE Facts at a Glance
- The founding program of The University of Memphis, the College dates back to 1912,
when West Tennessee State Normal School first opened its doors to students.
- The College of Education is composed of 3 academic departments - Counseling, Educational
Psychology & Research, Instruction & Curriculum Leadership, and Leadership - that
offer over 40 degree-programs.
- The College has 72 full-time and 50 part-time faculty.
- 1488 students are enrolled in the College for the 2016-17 school year, including 558
undergraduate and 862 graduate students.
- In 2015-16, the College awarded 261 bachelors, 137 masters and specialist degrees,
50 doctorates and 32 graduate certificates.
- The College is home to 11 nationally recognized teacher education programs, more than
any other institution in the Tennessee Board of Regents and the University of Tennessee
Systems, including the only nationally-recognized Educational Leadership Building,
Mathematics Secondary MAT, Reading Education MS, and School Library/Media Specialist
programs in the state.
- Our rehabilitation counseling program ranks among the top 15 programs of its kind
nationally, according to U.S. News and World Report.
- Our educational psychology program ranks among the top 10 in the U.S. in terms of
faculty scholarly productivity, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education.
- The College of Education awarded more than $60,000 in scholarships to undergraduate
and graduates students for the 2016-17 school year.
- The College is home to the Center for Research in Educational Policy (CREP), one of
just 26 academic centers in the state designated a Center of Excellence by the Tennessee
Higher Education Commission.
- Additional research units with the College of Education are the Center for Rehabilitation
and Employment Research (CRER), Center for the Study of Higher Education and Institute
on Disability (UMID).
- Campus School and the Barbara K. Lipman Early Childhood School and Research Institutes
are also housed within the College of Education.