Cap and Gown Pick-up Time and Location
Cap and Gown Distribution Dates, Times & Information
Cap and Gown Distribution Cap and Gown Distribution
Friday, August 8, 2014
University Center Ballroom (3rd floor) 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Can't pick up your Cap and Gown Materials during distribution? Send an email to email@example.com with your name, the name of the designee and ensure this person brings a photo ID
with him or her.
All candidates for graduation must wear appropriate regalia (cap and gown) at commencement.
Read important information about Caps, Gowns, Honors Cords and Pronouncer Cards:
- Pronouncer cards and cap and gowns, including tassels and hoods (masters, doctoral and law) will be
issued during Cap and Gown Distribution. Once you arrive at Cap and Gown Distribution, all
students MUST stop at the pronouncer card table/line first before proceeding to get their cap and
- Caps and gowns and pronouncer cards are ONLY issued to students that have completed the Steps to Graduation in its entirety. To complete your Steps to Graduation process by the deadline stated, click your Career Level (Undergraduate Students/Graduate Students). Caps and gowns will not be issued to students without a Commencement Pronouncer
card. If a deadline has passed, please call 901-678-5547 to find out what your next steps
- Only Undergraduates with honors distinction in the program (summa, magna and cum)
receive honor cords from the Commencement Office. You will receive this cord on Commencement
day. For more information on honors distinction, click here.
- Graduate Students do not receive honor cords but can wear cords obtained from undergraduate
- For more information about honor cords and our Cord Policy, click here.
- Your cap and gown is ordered from the measurements submitted on your Diploma Mailing
Card/Cap and Gown Form (Step 3) when you filed Applied to Graduate (Step 2)
- Caps and gowns are rented by the University for the students only for the day of graduation. There
is no charge for rented regalia.
- Because caps and gowns are rented, they must be returned to the company representatives immediately after the ceremony at the
FedEx Forum or within one week after Graduation Day to 800 Wilder Tower.
- All gowns are black. Male students receive a black robe and mortar board. Female students
receive a black robe, mortar board, and a white collar.
- Male graduates are advised to wear dress trousers in a dark color, a white shirt with
tie, dark shoes, and dark socks.
- Female graduates are advised to wear an appropriate day dress or slacks and comfortable
dark shoes. You may need to bring bobby pins or safety pins with you to the ceremony
in order to secure your mortar board or white collar. Consider heel height, as there
are long lines and stairs up and down from the stage.
- Tassels are a gift from the University. No additional adornments should be worn with the cap and gown. Exceptions to this rule
are found here.
Doctoral, Masters and Law
Instructions for Wearing Regalia Hood
To insure proper fit of your hood, we suggest that men wear a dress shirt and women
wear a blouse with buttons or a suit.
Hold the hood in your hand by the velvet at the narrowest point. The loop should be
hanging straight down. Grasp the loop in your right hand and place the hood over your
head so the loop continues to hang straight down in front of your neck.
Fasten the loop over a button on your shirt/blouse or jacket, or you may pin it in
place. This will prevent the hood from pressing on your throat.
Midway down the back of the hood you will find another satin cord and loop. Fasten
this loop around the button on the inside of the hood to prevent the hood from falling
off your shoulders. This may require the assistance of another person.
Be sure to have someone "fluff" the back of the hood just below the button, i.e.,
turn the velvet side underneath to expose the satin colors on the inside.