Steps to Graduation
Special Notes and Instructions for Graduate Students
- For specific information related to the graduation process for graduate students,
- Doctoral Candidates, please click here for what you need to complete HERE.
- Read the Prerequisites for Applying to Graduate
- Return to your My Memphis portal. Click on the My Degree tab and then locate the Commencement
channel to access Step 2-Apply to Graduate.
- Apply to Graduate. Login to your MyMemphis Portal here
- View Application
- You can only view your application after you have successfully submitted one by the
- Diploma Mailing/Cap and Gown Order Form
- Required by all graduating students whether attending or not.
- Will only have access to this if you have done Step 1 and Step 2
- Login to your My Memphis Portal here. Click on the My Degree tab, then locate the Commencement channel to access Step 3.
- In Step 3, you will choose three things:
- Diploma/Program Name
- You need to choose this at the time you complete the form
- Diploma Mailing Address
- Cap and Gown Measurements
Completion of Step 2 and Step 3, Diploma Mailing and Cap and Gown Form, is required
of all students who are applying to graduate whether or not you plan to attend the
Commencement ceremony. Step 4, Ceremony attendance/non-attendance information will
be collected in your final semester.
- Step 4-The Attendance/Non-Attendance Required Form--Completed within the semester you are graduating (FINAL Semester)
- You will receive an email from the Commencement Office during your final semester.
Within the attendance card, you will find the following requirements:
All graduating students must ensure their name is correct in the program. If your
name is NOT correct in the program, contact email@example.com
by the attendance card submission deadline.
All items are required and must be answered and submitted.If is your responsibility
to ensure your name is in the program and accurate. If you have questions, email us
- Complete the appropriate survey
- Note: Students receiving the Graduate Certificate ONLY are not allowed to participate
in the ceremony and are only listed in the spring Commencement program
Further Important Information
(To be completed ONE/TWO days prior to Graduation). See details for time and location.
Students attending the Commencement exercises must complete the following:Pick up
your personalized pronouncer card and cap and gown at the University Center. Please
refer to Graduation Day Instructions.
(To be completed immediately following graduation)
Pay all University fees. To clear any outstanding debts, please contact the University
Bursar's Office (901-678-5579)Students with financial holds through the University
will be unable to receive their diploma until the hold is cleared.
Instructions for Wearing your Regalia Hood
- To insure proper fit of your hood, we suggest that men wear a dress shirt and women
wear a blouse with buttons or a suit.
- Hold the hood in your hand by the velvet at the narrowest point. The loop should be
hanging straight down. Grasp the loop in your right hand and place the hood over your
head so the loop continues to hang straight down in front of your neck.
- Fasten the loop over a button on your shirt/blouse or jacket, or you may pin it in
place. This will prevent the hood from pressing on your throat.
- Midway down the back of the hood you will find another satin cord and loop. Fasten
this loop around the button on the inside of the hood to prevent the hood from falling
off your shoulders. This may require the assistance of another person.
- Be sure to have someone "fluff" the back of the hood just below the button, i.e.,
turn the velvet side underneath to expose the satin colors on the inside.