Student Speaker Selection
Deadline to submit an application: March 21, 2018
- The applicant must be approved for graduation for the term.
- The applicant must have contributed to the University of Memphis through campus involvement, community outreach, or through his or her chosen field of study.
- The applicant must show evidence of demonstrated public speaking ability and be willing to present their speech to the Commencement Speaker Selection Committee, if selected for an interview.
- The applicant must have a 2.7 cumulative grade point average or higher. (Graduate Students: Competitive GPA will be considered).
- The applicant must be in good academic standing with the university.
- The applicant MUST indicate on the Step 4: Attendance/Non-Attendance Required Form
that he or she IS attending the ceremony.
If selected, the applicant will be asked to provide the following information:
- A compiled list of activities, work experience, and accomplishments achieved during their study at the University of Memphis.
- One letter of recommendation from a University of Memphis professor or staff.
- A 3 paragraph draft of what your speech will contain. The speech topic can be found below. If you are chosen as the Commencement speaker, your speech should be no longer than 3-5 minutes in length. Student Government will review all applications and this team, President, Provost and VP for Marketing and Communication will make final selection of speakers.
• Speech Topic: College can be rewarding, but it does come with its challenges when obtaining a degree. What is an important take-away message you could provide to the entire, diverse, student body?