Admission to the graduate programs in communication is a DUAL process: you must apply
to both the Graduate School of the University of Memphis AND the Department of Communication.
The department typically admits students for the FALL semester. Review of applications
and awarding of graduate assistantships begins on February 1 and continues until all positions are filled.
Note: Effective for Fall 2013 admission, all PhD applications must be completed by Feb 1st. Late applications will not be considered.
Any applications that are still incomplete by July 15 WILL NOT be considered.
Prospective students should note that the departmental deadlines may differ from
those of the Graduate School. Admissions information for the Graduate School is located
on their website.
M.A. Program department application form (required)
All students applying for admission are required to submit Graduate Record Examination
(GRE) verbal and quantitative scores. In addition to meeting university admission
requirements, the department uses the following criteria in consideration of applications:
1. competitive GRE scores;
2. an undergraduate GPA of 3.0, a GPA of 3.2 for the last 60 credit hours, or a GPA
in the major of 3.25;
3. if English is a second language, a TOEFL score of 600 (or 250 on the computer-based
TOEFL) and a TSE score of 280.
If the candidate does not meet the above criteria, but has an undergraduate GPA for
the last 60 hours of at least 2.7 and competitive GRE scores (TOEFL and TSE scores
remain the same), the application will be referred to the departmental graduate studies
committee for consideration. In such cases, additional materials may be sought from
the applicant. Candidates without competitive GRE scores or a GPA for the last 60
hours of undergraduate work below 2.7, or, if English is a second language, a TOEFL
score below 600 or a TSE score below 280, will not be admitted.
Ph.D. Program department application form (required)
The Department uses the following criteria in consideration of applications:
1. Fulfillment of university requirements for admission to the graduate school and
competitive GRE scores. If English is a second language, a TOEFL score of 600 (or
250 on the computer-based TOEFL) and a TSE of 280 are required.
2. MA or other advanced degree from an accredited institution. The MA thesis or other
evidence of scholarly writing must be provided with the application.
3. Three letters of recommendation submitted by persons competent to judge the applicant’s
academic record and potential for advanced graduate work.
4. Transcript of prior academic work at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Individual
copies should be sent to the Graduate School and to the department’s coordinator of
graduate studies. A minimum graduate GPA of 3.5 for the MA (on a 4-point scale) is
5. A vitae/resume.
6. A statement of purpose that explains the applicant’s reasons for seeking the doctoral
degree from the Department of Communication at The University of Memphis.