First time jitters are normal.
Relax. You're in excellent hands. It's super common to be nervous your first time to any Counseling Center. We know this and want to make your first visit as comfortable as possible. Here is a brief outline of what you can expect when you come to the Counseling Center:
- First visits to the Center do not require an appointment. Students can walk in Monday-Friday between 10 am and 3 pm to get the ball rolling and meet with staff. Counseling services are confidential and free to enrolled students registered for 6 credit hours in the fall and spring semesters, and 1 credit hour in the summer semester.
- It's a good idea to allow about 30 minutes for the first visit. You will have an opportunity to meet with a counselor on staff and to complete a brief and confidential questionnaire.
- We are committed to minimizing wait times as much as possible. You should be able to see a staff counselor within 15 minutes of your arrival.
- During the initial first appointment session, you will be asked to describe your current concerns. The staff counselor will make every effort to understand you and your situation and will likely ask questions to obtain specific information about your well-being.
- At the end of the appointment, the counselor will talk with you about all the services that are available at the center to best meet your needs.
- Students are allotted 12 sessions per academic year.