The Department of Campus Recreation Intramural Services
The Student Recreation and Fitness Center
Issued: December 17, 2004
Policy Statement: The University of Memphis will provide UM students, faculty, staff, and guests an
opportunity to enjoy their leisure and fitness activities in a safe environment.
The University of Memphis student is our highest priority.
Purpose: Students faculty, staff, guest and associate members are eligible by virtue of payment
of appropriate membership or user fees.
Title: CRIS Complex Facility and Larry O. Finch Gymnasium
General Departmental Policies
1. Scheduling the use of the CRIS Complex- Student Recreation and Fitness Center
(SRFC) facilities and Larry O. Finch Gymnasium is the responsibility of the Campus
Recreation Intramural Services (CRIS) Department. The CRIS Scheduling Office (CSO)
coordinates space requests and facilitates utilization of the facilities and areas.
2. In meeting this responsibility, the CSO will schedule programs and events in
designated areas. CRIS will provide areas for use by other university groups, departments
and organizations as long as student programs are not inconvenienced in any way.
We are willing to accommodate cosponsored non-university groups if time and space
3. The SRFC is a nonsmoking complex open for recreational, and other use during
time periods established by the Director of the Department of CRIS. Current hours
of operation will be posted in the appropriate facilities. Schedules may vary periodically
based on University requirements or utilization need. Website address: http://www.memphis.edu/cris
4. Recreational use of the Complex shall be afforded to those individuals who are
directly associated with the University and show evidence of this association and/or
pay appropriate user fees. Use by a non-affiliated group or organization shall be
permitted only with co-sponsorship by a University division, college or department;
and the activity must be related to the professional or educational function of the
division, college or department.
5. Co-sponsorship by an officially recognized student organization or use by a non-affiliated
group or organization shall not relieve the group or organization from paying the
appropriate space use fee.
6. All activities taking place in the Student Recreation and Fitness Center Complex
and Finch gymnasium require active University co-sponsorship. A representative of
the co-sponsor must be present and responsible at such activities. This person must
also make all arrangements with the CSO related to the activity.
7. University of Memphis student activities shall be permitted in any approved University
facility with no space fee charge to the student group. Student activities shall
be charged for all other expenses, which arise out of use of facilities. The complex
shall be closed on designated University holidays unless otherwise posted.
8. Admittance policies are coordinated by appropriate department official.
9. Facility requests for modifications, improvements and maintenance are coordinated
with UM Physical Plant Department.
10. All event food shall be approved by appropriate University authorities.
SRFC and Finch Gym are a nonsmoking complex.
Management defines appropriate dress for activity.
Drinking and eating are prohibited except in designated areas of the SRFC.
The designated supervisor on duty may terminate SRFC recreational activities without
advance notice when considered in the best interest of the University.
11. There will be no unsupervised student activity in the SRFC. Free play activities
may be coordinated through the CSO. Unscheduled and/or unauthorized users may be escorted
from the SRFC and treated as trespassers. . Admittance procedures for the Finch Center
are to be established by the Men’s Basketball Director of Operations.
12. The University does not assume responsibility for loss of personal property
in the SRFC.
13. The CRIS Department will provide a safe environment for supervised activities.
However, the University assumes no responsibility for injuries received in any program
or activity scheduled in the SRFC.
14. Malicious damage to, or careless use of the SRFC facilities may lead to expulsion
from the facility and loss of privileges. The University will reclaim lost, stolen,
or damaged property.
15. Appropriate user and rental fees will be charged to individuals and groups using
the SRFC. Payments to be made to the CSO.
16. Fall and Spring students enrolled in 6 or more hours and students enrolled in
at least one class in the summer upon payment of the Student Activity -Recreation
Fee are afforded free access and use of all scheduled SRFC recreation programs and
facilities upon presentation of their valid U of M I.D. card. (Exception to this procedure
may include certain events.) Senior Student Audits are restricted to class use only.
17. Full-time faculty and staff, contract personnel (i.e., ROTC Staff, Food Services
and bookstore, etc.) without membership may use these facilities upon presentation
of a valid U of M I.D. card and payment of appropriate fees. See User-Fee Schedule: http://www.memphis.edu/cris
18. Part-time faculty and staff may use the facility upon payment of the appropriate
19. Full-time students, faculty and staff may purchase a Recreation Household Membership
for those who meet household guidelines. (See User-Fee Schedule). Members will be issued an I.D. Card.
20. Each individual sixteen years or older having recreation use privileges may act
as a sponsor of a guest. (See Departmental Guest Regulations) Sponsor must accompany
each guest at all times. Sponsor is defined as an individual having SRFC use privileges.
21. Full-time students enrolled in immediate past spring semester but not enrolled
in a summer semester, shall be afforded access and use of all scheduled SRFC programs
and facilities upon presentation of their I.D. card reflecting payment of Summer Recreation
user fees. The summer recreation user fees may be paid in the Bursar's Office. (See
Recreation User-Fee Schedule:)
22. Utilization of the Facilities by special guests of the University is authorized
when approved by the President of the University or the Vice President or Provost
of the department sponsoring the guest. Approval of guest privileges should normally
be limited to out-of-town guests. A special I.D. card to identify these guests must
be presented prior to use of the facilities.
23. The tennis courts are the only facility that may be used by the general public
upon payment of the proper fee. (See User-Fee Schedule)
24. Faculty/ Staff Membership Applications and Payroll Deduction Forms are available
in the Student Recreation and Fitness Center. Lost cards may be replaced upon payment
of a $10.00 replacement fee. Damaged cards may be replaced at no charge, provided
the damaged card is returned.
25. Full-time regular UM employees using procedure: 2D:05:07C, Employee Educational
Program, P. C. 191 (Tuition-Free). Employees enrolled under this program will not
be eligible for any regular student benefits because of enrollment in this program.
This includes free usage of the Student Recreation and Fitness Center.
1. Each guest must be accompanied by his or her sponsor at all times. Sponsor is
defined as an individual having SRFC use privileges.
2. The number of guests will be normally limited to one person for all activities.
The University reserves the right to increase or decrease the number of guests when
in the best interest of all concerned.
3. Guests must pay appropriate Recreation User Fees. University guests who are approved
with no charge by designated University officials are an exception to the aforementioned
4. Only one handball-racquetball court or one tennis court may be in use at any time
by a sponsor and/or his/her family and/or guests.
5. Guest tickets for current use may be purchased in the SRFC when these facilities
are open for recreation.
6. Faculty and guest are required to present proper identification while using the
facility. The guest will be required to leave the facility either before or with
7. Admittance procedures for the Finch Center are to be established by the basketball
operation staff. Open gym hours are determined by Men's Basketball office. Hours subject
to change, depending on availability.
8. Maintenance of the Finch Center is to be conducted in coordination with Men’s Basketball.
Scheduling of The University of Memphis- Student Recreation and Fitness Center Complex
and Larry O. Finch Building fall under the direction of the Office of Campus Recreation Intramural Services (C.R.I.S.).
Please observe the following guidelines when requesting facility space. The CRIS Scheduling
Office follows Tennessee Board of Regents approved University policy and procedures.
SRFC Space Scheduling
1. All users of the areas and facilities of the SRFC shall request space scheduling
through the CSO.
2. Scheduling will follow the University’s academic scheduling timetable. The CSO
will be responsible for sending notification of the scheduling timetable to all concerned
groups. Failure to comply with scheduling deadlines may result in loss of priority.
3. The CSO will coordinate the scheduling and has the authority to resolve conflicts.
4. The CSO will process SRFC space requests from non-student user groups. (University
5. The CSO will process SRFC space requests from recognized University Student Organizations.
(University Procedure 2A:04:03A)
Non-University groups using complex facilities for special events must pay complex
use fees based on the area and type of event held. See Use of University property
and Facilities for Non-Credit Activities Policy #1:2A:04:03, Procedure #2A:04:03A
PROCEDURE NO.: 2A:04:02A
DATE: August 16, 1992
DATED: June, 1992