Information for Parents
As students enjoy our campus environment, we would like to provide you with a reminder of the many programs and services we offer at the University of Memphis to help promote safety on our campus.
The safety and security of the campus community is a top priority. We encourage you to review this information and discuss it with your son, daughter or family member. Whether students live in university housing or off-campus, it is important for them to be aware of their surroundings at all times.
Our goal is to provide our students with resources to ensure their safety and to help them take responsibility for their own well-being by being careful, making informed choices, and taking full advantage of the programs in place. Here are some of the services we offer:
- LiveSafe - Students, faculty and staff can sign up to receive instant messages via a smartphone app in the event of an emergency. To receive these messages, visit the LiveSafe Web site for more information.
- Indoor/Outdoor Warning - If there is an emergency of campus wide proportions, the university has the ability to activate warning sirens and broadcast audible messages via communication towers and indoor speakers strategically positioned around campus.
- Safety Phones - The U of M campus features many “safety phones” at terminals marked with blue lights. These phones dial directly to Police Services.
- Special Information Hotline – Provides recorded information on the operational status of the University.
- Tiger Escort - A personal escort program staffed by students to enhance the safety of persons on campus in the evening. There is never a need to walk alone. Normal hours for the Fall and Spring semesters are 6:00 p.m. until 2:00 a.m. seven days a week.
- Student Affairs Crisis Response Team – Focuses specifically on providing compassionate and timely response and services to students and others in times of crisis.
- Camera Systems – Over 300 Web-based, digital cameras are located both inside and outside of buildings to help University Police monitor parking lots, sidewalks, and building entrances, as well as many interior spaces.
More information, including a variety of campus safety brochures can be found on the University of Memphis Police Services Website. We also encourage students and family members to interact with us to discuss concerns or ask questions. For UofM Police Services, call 901.678.2068 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.