School of Communication Sciences and Disorders
University of Memphis Photo
Non-CSD Coursework Required for the Professional Degrees

Basic science courses necessary to meet
U of M graduation, ASHA certification,* and State Licensure

Coursework in the area of Communication Sciences and Disorders is not required prior to admission to the MA and AuD graduate programs, but both programs require non-CSD coursework to have been completed prior to graduation. If you have not met these requirements in your undergraduate program, you will be required to complete them during your graduate program. Depending on how many of these requirements have not been met, your graduate program may be extended. You may want to consider completing this coursework prior to your first semester of graduate school.

MA Program:
The MA program implements ASHA’s course distribution requirements for biological, physical, and social/behavioral sciences: Acceptable courses in biological sciences should emphasize a content area related to human or animal sciences (e.g., biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, veterinary science). Acceptable courses in physical sciences should include physics or chemistry. Acceptable courses in social/behavioral sciences should include psychology, sociology, anthropology, or public health. A stand-alone course in statistics is also required in compliance with ASHA standards. Research methodology coursework in Communication Sciences and Disorders may not be used to satisfy this requirement.

AuD Program:
The curriculum for the Doctor of Audiology Degree is designed to meet most state licensing requirements and certification standards of national organizations.  Our AuD program assumes that students have basic coursework in the biological, physical, mathematical, and social/behavioral sciences by the time of graduation. This coursework should be completed at the undergraduate level and reflect preparation for graduate study in audiology.  You may also wish to take additional courses in these areas to prepare you for graduate study. If you did not take coursework in the above areas in your undergraduate program, you are encouraged to complete this coursework prior to your first semester of graduate school. For more information see the Curriculum for the AuD program.  

*For the AuD program, this coursework is a requirement for U of M graduation and state licensure, but not for ASHA certification.

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Contact the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders

Our MA and AUD programs are accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
Last Updated: 9/16/13