Welcome to Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
If you want to know what an electrical or computer engineer does, look down at the smart phone in your hand. They design the protocols that transmit voice and date to your phone, the electronic circuits that allow you to interact with your phone through sound, sight, and touch, and the software for that connects to the hardware allowing the apps that we all use. Since we train you to be problems solvers, EECE graduates also have the skills to work in electric power, biomedical technologies, and many other technical fields, as well as business, law, and medicine.
To help students achieve their degrees in EECE, we offer both the fundamental knowledge and hands-on projects through which students acquire the skills necessary to achieve their goals. In addition, our department is a community of students, faculty, and staff who strive for excellence in our endeavors. We consciously try to build that community through department events, student organizations, and a close relationship between faculty and students. Therefore, students not only acquire the academic skils, but also the personal and professional attributes that are necessary for success.
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering offers:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
- An accelerated curriculum for a dual Electrical and Computer Engineering major from which both degrees can be obtained in 5 years.
- An accelerated Bachelors to Masters program, in which qualified senior can take up to 9 hours of dual undergraduate/graduate credit allowing them to get both BS and MS in 5 years.
- Honors programs in both Electrical and Computer Engineering that focuses on mentoring of individual students.
- A Graduate Certificate Program in Imaging and Signal Processing
- A Masters program in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- A Doctoral program
- Funded research ranching from intelligent systems to biomedical imaging.
The mission statement of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering is:
- Provide educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students so that they have the knowledge to enter professional practice and meet or exceed the expectations of employers and to have the fundamental skills required to continually enhance their knowledge, and provide leadership in industry, government, or academia.
- Create, advance, and disseminate knowledge in the fields of electrical and computer engineering to contribute to the general welfare of the Mid-South region, the State of Tennessee, and the Nation.