Minimum Requirements for PHD Degree
Thesis Dissertation Preparation Guide
Application for Assistantship
PHD Procedures (in order, links to information and forms)
- During your first semester, find a major advisor, and fill out the Committee Composition Form. The committee should consist of at least 50% EECE graduate faculty.
- Complete the Qualifying Procedure during your first three semesters. The Qualifier
consists of taking core classes in EECE and making at least a B-. The courses are
- After your course work, take the Comprehensive Exam. You should not register for Dissertation hours until you have complete your course
work. This exam has to be assessed for SACS accreditation using this form. In EECE, the comprehensive exam is a combination of a written test and oral proposal.
Write a proposal for your dissertation research. Distribute to your committee. The
will give you written questions to answer. After you return answers to them, they
will grade. They may ask you additional questions at the proposal defense. Prepare
a presentation on your proposed research and present to the committee.
- When filling out the PHD Candidacy Form, follow the instructions for admission to candidacy.
- Defend your Dissertation Proposal. The defense must be assessed using this form.
- Final Defense of your Dissertation
Students should submit both printed and electronic versions of forms to EECE office.
Matthew Bledsoe is a busy man. He is pursuing a dual major in Electrical and Computer Engineering and expects to graduate in the Spring of 2012. In addition, he is a non-comissioned officer (NCO) in the US Army where he is currently engaged in a major competition for NCO of the Year. More ...