The temple dedicated to Isis on the Island of Philae at Aswan
The Temple of Isis of the Ptolemaic Period, which was originally located on the island
of Philae, now dominates the island of Agilkia. After the construction of the Aswan
Dam (1898-1912), the island of Philae was completely out of the water only from August
through December. The waters controlled by the High Dam (completed in 1971) would
have covered it. Therefore, the temple was moved in the late 1960s, but it is still
known as Philae Temple.
As tourist boats approach the island of Agilkia from the east, Trajan’s Kiosk (left)
balances the Temple of Isis (right). The layout of the temple is apparent from this
vantage point: from the left, first pylon, open court, second pylon, covered hypostyle
Another view of the temple of Isis at Philae
This view of the Ptolemaic Temple of Isis (Philae Temple) is from the west and illustrates
the Egyptian use of the post and lintel system of construction. This view also demonstrates
the layout of the temple: from the right, first pylon, open court, second pylon, covered
hypostyle hall, sanctuary.