M.A. in Professional Writing
The M.A. in Professional Writing prepares students for careers in editing, policy writing, and publication management. Students are taught to write for industry, government, technology, and the scientific disciplines.
Professional Writing courses emphasize:
- Writing and editing to achieve specific purposes and address specific audiences,
- Producing different types of documents, including instructional manuals, reports, and proposals,
- Using writing as a tool for learning,
- Working collaboratively to solve problems, and
- Evaluating the findings of empirical research.
Many courses incorporate technology to build students' skills in using multimedia applications, web pages, and other internet applications. Courses are often offered online or in the evening to accommodate working professionals.
Students in the Professional Writing area are encouraged to do a one-semester internship for which they receive course credit.
Graduates in Professional Writing have been in demand by local businesses, including Federal Express, AutoZone, and Brother Industries where they work as editors, as writers of policy and procedural manuals, and as managers of the publication process. Some of our graduates are currently pursuing Ph.D.s in Professional Writing at the University of Memphis and at other universities.
For more information about the program:
Video Introduction to the Composition and Professional Writing Concentration
For more information about the MA in Professional Writing program requirements, visit
the Graduate Catalog.