Faculty in the Department of English actively publish many scholarly and creative
works. They are widely published in top journals and present their works at international
Recent Faculty Book Publications
Tim Johnston Brandy Wilson
Descent: A Novel The Palace Blues
Forthcoming from Algonquin Books Spinsters Ink
January 6, 2015 October 28, 2014
Courtney Santo Sonja Livingston
Three Story House: A Novel Queen of the Fall
William Morrow Paperbacks University of
August 2014 Forthcoming
Zora Neale Hurston: An Annotated
Bibliography of Works and Criticism.
Scarecrow Press, May 2013.
Recent Faculty Articles and Creative Work
- John Bensko, "Crickets." (poem) The Southern Poetry Journal. 51:1, 2013.
John Bensko, "To Learn of Feathers." (poem) The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VI: Tennessee, Texas Review Press, 2013.
John Bensko, "Broken Ode to Snow," (poem) The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VI: Tennessee, Texas Review Press, 2013.
- Michael Compton, "Lamentations" (Poem). African American Review 46.2-3. Summer/Fall 2013.
- Michael Compton, "The Flying Man" (Short Story). Baltimore Review. Fall 2014.
- Darryl Domingo (Ed), Henry Fielding, The Tragedy of Tragedies: or The Life and Death of Tom Thumb the Great, Broadview Press, 2013.
- Darryl Domingo, "Appendix: Critical Texts," The Broadview Anthology of Restoration and Eighteenth-Century Comedy, Broadview Pressm 2013.
- Cary Holladay, “That Inner Life,” (essay). Superstition Review, June 2014.
- Cary Holladay, Foreword for Women of War: Selected Memoirs, Poems, and Fiction by Virginia Women Who Lived Through
the Civil War. Texas Review Press, July 2014.
- Cary Holladay, “A CAYCE for Fiction,” (essay). The Writer, August 2014.
- Cary Holladay, “She’ll Ride the Horse Herself,” (essay). Spilt Ink, Sewanee Review, September 2014.
- Sonja Livingston, "A Thousand Mary Doyles" (essay), Brevity, 2014.
- Sonja Livingston, "Klotilde's Cake" (essay), Blackbird, 2014.
- Sonja Livingston, "World Without End" (essay), Blackbird, 2014.
- Sonja Livingston, "Mock Orange" (essay), Water~Stone Review, 2014.
- Sonja Livingston, "Blue Kentucky Girl" (essay), Appalachian Heritage, 2014.
- Sonja Livingston, "Rosalie, from the Philippines" (essay), The Louisville Review, 2014.
- Catherine Martin, “Milton’s and Donne’s Stargazing Lovers, Sex, and the New Astronomy.” SEL 54.1 (Winter, 2014).
- John Miles, “Captured by Genre: Mary Rowlandson’s Western Imagination on the Nineteenth-Century
Frontier.” In Before the West Was West: Pre-1800 Western American Literature. University of Nebraska Press, 2014.
Joshua Phillips, "Monasticism and Idleness in Spenser’s Late Poetry.” SEL, 54.1, Winter 2014.
Joshua Phillips, “Labors Lost: The Work of Devotion in Tudor England” Journal of Medieval and Early Modern Studies, 44.1, Winter 2014.
Joshua Phillips, Review Essay: "Early Modern Community." Journal of Early Modern Cultural Studies 13.3, Summer 2013.
- Susan Popham “Hybrid Disciplinarity: Metis and Ethos in Juvenile Mental Health Electronic Records.”
Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 44.3, 2014.
- Susan Popham and Emily Thrush, “Teaching Technical Communication to a Global Online Student Audience.” in Online Education 2.0. Baywood Publishing, 2013.
- Kathy Lou Schultz, “The Chicago School, Imagism, and the Early Poetry of Melvin B. Tolson.” Jacket2. Sept. 25 2013.
- Kathy Lou Schultz, “Melvin Tolson.” Companion to Modernist Poetry. Wiley-Blackwell, 2014.
- Kathy Lou Schultz, “First reading of M. NourbeSe Philip's 'Zong!' #6 (3).” Jacket2. Feb. 27 2014.
- Kathy Lou Schultz, “Jackson Listens to the Birds,” (poem). Cleaver Magazine 5. March 2014.
- Angela Thevenot and Teresa Dalle, "Challenging Preservice Teachers to Become Culturally Competent." TEIS News. June 2014.