Phone: (901) 678-4580
Office: Patterson Hall 447
Concentration Affiliation: Literary and Cultural Studies
B.A., 1966, University of California, Berkeley
M.A., 1967, University of Chicago
Ph.D., 1971, University of Connecticut
Stephen Tabachnick specializes in British literature from 1880 to 1940. His areas
of research interest include biography and autobiography, the graphic novel, and travel
literature, as well as fiction and poetry. He sees literary criticism, biography,
and teaching as interpretive arts and tries to help his students find their own voices
- “The Graphic Novel and the Age of Transition: A Survey and Analysis.” English Literature in Transition: 1880-1920 53.1 (2010): 3-28.
- Editor, Teaching the Graphic Novel (Modern Language Association, 2009).
- “A Comic-Book World.” World Literature Today (March-April 2007): 24-28.
- Lawrence of Arabia: An Encyclopedia (Greenwood, 2004).
- Fiercer than Tigers: The Life and Works of Rex Warner (Michigan State University Press, 2004).
- Images of Lawrence (Jonathan Cape, 1988). With photos from the collection of Christopher Matheson.
- Afterword, Humphrey Cobb, Paths of Glory (University of Georgia Press, 1987).
- Editor, Explorations in Doughty’s “Arabia Deserta” (University of Georgia Press, 1987). Republished in paperback, 2012.
- Editor, The T.E. Lawrence Puzzle (University of Georgia Press, 1984). Republished in paperback, 2011.
- Charles Doughty (Twayne, 1981).
- T.E. Lawrence (Twayne, 1978).
- Harold Pinter (Oliver & Boyd, 1973). Co-author William Baker.