Faculty members at the University of Memphis have contributed to the discipline of engaged scholarship in multiple ways. Engaged research produces a wide variety of scholarly products that reflect the diverse impacts made through community-based projects. Much of this scholarship is interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary and represents the complex relationships developed during engaged research.Select a category below to navigate through the numerous publications related to engaged scholarship produced by UM faculty.
- Hyland, Stanley, ed. 2005 Community Building in the Twenty-First Century. Santa Fe: School of American Research.
► Journal Articles
- Bennett, Linda A. and Sunil K. Khanna 2010 A Review of Tenure and Promotion Guidelines in Higher Education: Optimistic Signs for Applied, Practicing, and Public Interest Anthropology. Review Essay,American Anthropologist 112(4): 648-650.
- Brondo, Keri and Katherine Lambert-Pennington 2011 “Coalition of Trust” or “Trust Me I Know What’s Best”: When Southern Progressivism Meets PAR-Informed Engaged Scholarship. Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development 39(3-4): 1-41.
- Brondo, Keri and Ruthbeth Finerman 2008 Strengthening Communities in the Mid-South: Engaged Anthropology at the University of Memphis. Society for Applied Anthropology Newsletter 19(1): 34-35.
- Brondo, Keri 2010 Practicing Anthropology in a Time of Crisis: 2009 Year in Review. American Anthropologist 112(2) 208-218.
- Camp, J., R. Barfield, V. Rodriguez, A. Young, Ruthbeth Finerman, and M. Caniza 2009 Challenges Faced by Research Ethics Committees in El Salvador: Results from a Focus Group Study. Developing World Bioethics 9(1):11-17.
- Connolly, Robert P. 2011 From Actors to Directors: New Voices at the C.H. Nash Museum at Chucalissa. Practicing Anthropology 33(2): 35-39.
- Connolly, Robert P. and Keri V. Brondo 2010 Incarnate Theology and the Social Gospel: Exploring the Mississippi Model of Episcopal Medical Missions to Panama. NAPA Bulletin 33(1):31-49.
- Cox, David 2004 “The How and Why of the Scholarship of Engagement.” In Creating a New Kind of University: Institutionalizing Community Engagement in an Urban University. Stephen Percy and Nancy Zimpher, eds. Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing. 17 pp.
- 2003 “The Future for Economically Distressed Community-Higher Education Partnerships.” In A Future for Everyone: Innovative Social Responsibility and Community Partnerships. David Maurrasse, ed. New York: Rougledge. 22 p
- 2000 Developing a Framework for Understanding Community-Higher Education Community Improvement Partnerships. Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research 5(1):1-26.
- Cox, David, Stanley Hyland, and Cindy Martin 1998 Memphis Maps: GIS for Community Development. Metropolitan Universities(Spring 98): 23-31.
- Finerman, Ruthbeth, Charles Williams, and Linda A. Bennett 2010 Health Disparities and Engaged Medical Anthropology in the United States Mid-South. Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development 39(3): 265-298.
- Griffith, D.M., Latrice Pichon, B. Campbell, and J.O. Allen 2010 Your Blessed Health: a Faith-Based CBPR Approach to Addressing HIV/AIDS among African Americans. AIDS Education Preview 22(3):203-17.
- Ivey, S. and Palazolo, P. 2011 “Girls Experiencing Engineering: Evolution and Impact of a Single-Gender Outreach Program.” Accepted for presentation and publication 2011 ASEE Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Kiser, Laurel J., Linda A. Bennett, and Sarah Jane Brubaker 2007 Exploring Neighborhood Ritual and Routine Processes Related to Health Adolescent Development. Children, Youth and Environments 17(4):54-85.
- Lambert-Pennington, Katherine and Kenneth Reardon 2011 Creating an Interdisciplinary Community Development Assistance Center: The South Memphis Revitalization Action Project. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning 17(2): 59-70.
- Lambert-Pennington, Katherine 2010 Practicing What We Preach: The Possibilities of Participatory Action Research with Faith-Based Organizations. NAPA Bulletin, Special Issue (33): 143-160.
- Mele, Nancy, Jeanne Archer, and Burton D. Pusch 2005 Access to Breast Cancer Screening Services for Women With Disabilities. JOGNN 34(3):453-464.
- Norris-Tirrell, Dorothy, Katherine Lambert-Pennington, and Stan Hyland 2010 Imbedding Service Learning in Engaged Scholarship at Research Institutions to Revitalize Urban Neighborhoods. Journal of Community Practice 18 (2 & 3): 171-189.
- Reardon, Kenneth M. 2006 Promoting Reciprocity within Community / University Partnerships: Lessons from the Field. Planning Research and Practice 21(1):95-107.
- Sagrestano, Lynda, Joy Clay, Ruthbeth Finerman, and Melanie Rapino 2010 Mind the Gap: Ryan White Part A HIV/AIDS Transportation Needs Assessment Special Study. Memphis, TN: United Way of the Mid-South, Mid-South Coalition on HIV/AIDS, and Ryan White Part A Planning Council.
- Santo, Charles, Nate Ferguson, and Andrew Trippel 2010 Engaging Urban Youth through Technology: The Youth Neighborhood Mapping Initiative. Journal of Planning Education and Research 30(1): 52-65.
► Book Chapters
- Cox, David 2010 History of the Scholarship of Engagement Movement. In Handbook of Engaged Scholarship: Contemporary Landscapes, Future Directions, Vol. 1: Institutional Change. H.E. Fitzgerald, C. Burack, and S. Seifer, eds. Pp. 25-39. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press.
- Cox, David 2005 Challenges to Community – Higher Education Partnerships: A Call to Action. InHigher Education Collaboratives for Community Engagement and Improvement. Penny Pasque, Lori Hendricks, Nicholas Bowman, eds. [pg. #s] Ann Arbor: National Forum on Higher Education for the Public Good.
- Cox, David 2005 The How and Why of the Scholarship of Engagement. In Creating a New Kind of University: Institutionalizing Community Engagement in an Urban University. Stephen Percy and Nancy Zimpher, eds. Pp. 159-177. Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing
- Hyland, Stanley E. and Linda A. Bennett 2005 Introduction. In Community Building in the Twenty-First Century. Stanley Hyland, ed. Pp. 3-24. Santa Fe: School of American Research Press.
- Lambert-Pennington Katherine and Julie Pfromm 2010 Faith-Based Development and Community Renaissance: Tradition and Transformation in South Memphis. In Not By Faith Alone: Social Services, Social Justice, and Faith-Based Organizations in the U.S. Julie Adkins, Laurie Occhipinti, and Tara Hefferan, eds. Pp. 69-90. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Reardon, Kenneth M. 2008 Participatory Neighborhood Planning for Community Renewal: A Bottom-Up, Bottom-Sideways Approach to Practice. In The Introduction to Community Development. Rhonda A. Phillips and Robert Pittman, eds. London: Routledge/Taylor and Fracis Group.
- Reardon, Kenneth M. 1997 Participatory Action Research and Community Service Learning. In Academic Service Learning: A Pedagogy of Action and Reflection. Robert A. Rhoads and Jeffrey P.F. Howard, eds. Pp. 57-64. New York, NY: Jossey-Bass Publishers
► Agency Reports
- Brondo, Keri, Andrew Mrkva, and Katherine Lambert-Pennington 2008 Beltline Community Action Process Report. Memphis, TN: Jacob’s Ladder Community Development Corporation and Beltline Neighborhood Association.
- Cox, David with Sheila Martin, David Perry, Debra Friedman, Geoff Maruyama, and Ken Stapleton. 2010 Urban Universities: Anchors Generating Prosperity for America’s Cities. 25 pp. Urban Serving Universities Coalition and the Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Cox, David 2004 Introduction to “Improving Local Communities.” In The Power of Partnership. Washington, D.C.: Office of University Partnerships, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Pp. 45-47.
- Cox, David 1993 A Community Based Model for Program Coordination, Institutional Collaboration and Policy Change and Reform. 34 pp. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.
- Doan, S., T. Alexander, C. Clark, P. Jarrett, S. Kennedy, K. Pritchard, S. Nelson, Ruthbeth Finerman, and T. Cutts 2008 Memphis Religious Health Assets Mapping: Participatory Inquiry into Religious Health Assets, Networks, and Agency: McLemore/LeMoyne-Owen. Memphis, TN: Methodist Healthcare.
- Ivey, S. and Bailey, S. 2010 “Strengthening Communities: Transportation Improvement Plan for the Rozelle-Annesdale Neighborhood.” Final Project Report submitted to Pigeon Roost Development Corporation, September 2010.
- Lambert-Pennington, Katherine and Kenneth M. Reardon 2010 Vance Avenue Collaborative: Preliminary Planning Framework. 32 pp. Memphis, TN: Departments of Anthropology and City and Regional Planning, University of Memphis.
- Lambert-Pennington, Katherine and Kenneth M. Reardon 2009 South Memphis Revitalization Acton Plan: A People's Blueprint for Building a More Vibrant, Sustainable, and Just Community. St. Andrew AME Church.
- Lambert-Pennington, Katherine 2008 From Hope to Home: An Evaluation of Homeownership in College Park. Memphis, TN: United Housing, Inc.
► Documentaries and Videos
- Mrkva, Andrew and Keri Brondo 2008 Life in the Beltline: A Collection of Oral History Films Made by Youth in the Beltline Community of Memphis, TN. (August 2008)
► Museum Exhibits
- Connolly, Robert 2010 African American Cultural Heritage in Southwest Memphis Exhibit, C.H. Nash Museum at Chucalissa
- Connolly, Robert 2008 Choctaw Cultural Heritage Exhibit, C.H. Nash Museum at Chucalissa