At the University of Memphis Engaged Scholarship:
- Involves academic projects that engage faculty members and students in a collaborative
and sustained manner with community groups.
- Connects university outreach endeavors with community organizational goals.
- Furthers reciprocal relationships between the university and the community.
- Entails shared authority in the research process from design to implementation.
- Results in excellence through such products as peer-reviewed publications, peer-reviewed
collaborative reports, documentation of impact, and external funding.
Engaged Scholarship is built upon reciprocal relationships between Universities and
Similarly, Engaged Scholarship at the University of Memphis reflects the cumulative
efforts of numerous people.
Read more about the history of the Engaged Scholarship Faculty Committee at the University
of Memphis here...
Within the University, faculty and staff enrich the learning experience of Memphis
students through participatory action research, service-learning, and internships. Members
of the U of M community also travel all over the country, lecturing and presenting
at conferences in an effort to expand engaged scholarship throughout the broader academic
Engaged Scholarship also requires that educators and students venture beyond the halls
of academia to connect with residents and community stakeholders, all of whom play
an equally integral role in the Engaged Scholarship process.
Click through the links below to find out more about the people behind Engaged Scholarship
Students (Coming Soon...)
Community Partners (Coming Soon...)
Mission of the University of Memphis:
The University of Memphis is a learner-centered metropolitan research university providing
high quality educational experiences while pursuing new knowledge through research,
artistic expression, and interdisciplinary and engaged scholarship.
-University of Memphis Strategic Plan