Each student must apply for graduation. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate this process. The following guidelines may help with this process. Also, check the College of Engineering graduation information.
When should I apply for graduation?
The University has very specific deadlines for submitting this paperwork. These dates can be found here.
In general you should apply for graduation the beginning of semester before your final
What do I need to do?
- You will need to complete the Herff College of Engineering Degree Application form. It is available on-line and in the Engineering Technology office.
- Contact your advisor and let him/her know that you need to apply for graduation. Ask him/her to review your transcript and complete a “Graduation Checklist”. Make an appointment and bring your completed Degree Application form to the meeting. Your advisor will measure you for a cap and gown and will place the form in your
advising folder. Once the Graduation Checklist is completed and signed, it will be placed in your
folder. You will be advised of the courses you need to take in your final semester. Any problems associated with residency requirements, grade point average, transfer
credit, or course substitutions should be identified at this time. At this point your advising file becomes your graduation file and your advisor will
pass the completed file on to the Department Chair for review and signature.
- Contact the Department Chair to verify that he/she has signed the forms and that your
graduation file has been forwarded to the College Graduation Analyst. If the Department Chair has identified any problems with your application, you will
be contacted. Your file will not be forwarded until all the specified graduation requirements have
Steps 1-3 must be completed by the date specified on the registrar’s website.
- Complete the courses with the required grades.
- Complete all financial obligations to the University, including library books and
- Go to the Commencement Office’s website to learn more about the graduation ceremony:
http://saweb.memphis.edu/commencement/. This site will contain information about picking up your cap and gown, pronouncer
cards, invitations, etc.
- The graduation analyst will certify you for graduation after grades have been posted. He/she will review your transcript to make sure you meet all graduation requirements. You will be notified if a discrepancy has been found. If all the requirements have been met, your diploma will be mailed to you at the
address you specified on the Degree Application form.
Although your transcript is reviewed by your advisor and the Department Chair, it
does not guarantee that all graduation requirements have been satisfied. The graduation analyst is the only person who can certify you for graduation.