University of Memphis (14K)

2011 Faculty Handbook

Chapter 8 - Salary, Leave, and Economic Benefits





Faculty salary payments for the academic year are paid over a twelve (12) month period (September through August) and are deposited directly into the faculty member's bank account, normally on the last banking day of each month. Contact the Payroll Office for questions about the payment schedule and authorization or changes to direct deposit.

Compensation for part-time or adjunct faculty is evenly divided into three monthly pay­ments. Salary payments are made on the last banking day of the month. For the fall semes­ter, payments are made on the last banking days of October, November, and December. For the spring semester, payments are made on the last banking days of February, March, and April.

Salary for faculty who do not complete a full academic year or full semester, or who begin employment late in the semester, is prorated as follows:

a. Faculty who complete one full semester will earn one-half of their academic year salary.

b. When an appointment begins or ends on a date other than the beginning or end of a semester, the compensation for that part of a semester will be calculated as follows:

(1) Compensation will be based on the actual number of faculty workdays in the semester. These dates are established by the Provost's Office.

(2) The period between fall commencement and spring registration, approved holidays, the fall break, and the spring break are excluded when calculating the number of workdays in each semester.

Payments for the summer session, longevity payments, and extra compensation are included in the month-end paycheck.

 University faculty may authorize payroll deductions for approved charitable organizations. The United Way of the Mid-South is one of the charitable organizations approved to solicit funds on campus. Forms are made available during the annual giving campaign, usually in October. Optional payroll deductions include various insurance and retirement plans, parking fees, savings bonds, Wellness Program, Campus Recreation Center, First South Federal Credit Union, Memphis Area Teachers' Credit Union, and the University of Memphis Foundation.


Extra Compensation

Faculty are encouraged and expected to be involved in public service and continuing education activities offered by the University; normally these activities would be part of regular assignments. At times, however, extra compensation may be received for credit or noncredit teaching, participation in applied research, consulting, preparation of educational materials, and similar activities. See UM Policy 1490 -

These services must be performed in addition to the faculty member's full workload and entirely outside the scheduled work hours or while on holiday or annual leave, if applicable. These additional duties must not interfere with the performance of regularly assigned responsibilities and duties.

The University of Memphis reserves the right to withhold payment for work performed when the employee fails to comply with the Extra Compensation procedure. When services are rendered by a TBR employee to another state agency, The University of Tennessee, or another TBR institution of higher education (Dual Services), extra compensation will be paid by the contracting agency to the institution pursuant to TBR Guideline G-030.

Extra compensation earnings are subject to the following limits.

  • Course Limits: Full-time faculty may not receive extra compensation for more than two credit courses per semester (T.C.A. 49-5-410).
  • Refer to U of M Policy 1490 for rules regarding the calculation of rates per credit hour.

It is faculty members' responsibility to ensure that they do not exceed any limits established by the Tennessee Board of Regents, as excess earnings are due to the University. A letter of indebtedness will be issued by Human Resources for the purpose of recouping the funds.


Research Compensation


The incentive pay plan seeks to reward faculty members with incentive pay up to 50% of the amount of salary recovered from external funding sources.

Incentive Pay Procedure

Faculty seeking incentive pay must obtain external funding for their base salary, negotiate an agreement with their chair and dean, verify work performed by signing the semester's effort certification form, and initiate payment on the end of month payroll by completing an incentive pay request form.

External Funding Proposal

For faculty to be eligible for incentive compensation, the external sponsor must provide funding for their base salary, all associated benefits, and the maximum Facilities and Administration (F&A also known as indirect costs) rate allowed by the sponsor's formal policy. The Vice Provost for Research has final authority over whether or not the external funding meets these criteria.

In order to comply with federal cost principles in Office of Management and Budget Circular A-21, it is important that the cost to the external sponsor remain unchanged as a result of the incentive pay plan. In general, federal grants do not allow extra compensation to be charged directly to a federal grant.  However, a percentage of the faculty member's base salary, commensurate with his/her level of effort, may be charged to the grant. Federal cost principles allow charging a percentage of base salary commensurate with the faculty's level of effort on the federal grant.

Situations may arise where the external funding entity may pay extra compensation and/or incentive compensation. However, this is appropriate only if more work is performed. Faculty receiving release time to work on the externally funded project should not receive extra compensation.

Faculty Incentive Pay Plan Agreement

The purpose of this agreement is to create an understanding between faculty, chairs, and deans regarding the disposition of base salary budget recovered from external funding sources. For detailed information about the Research Incentive program, go to:


The deadline is the 5th of the month for payment on at the end of the month. The form with attachments will be reviewed and approved by the Vice Provost for Research (or designee) prior to submitting to the payroll office by the 5th of the month for payment at the end of the month.

Payment of incentive compensation to faculty who have resigned must be approved by the Vice Provost for Research and the Provost.  A justification memo should be prepared and routed through the chair and dean for their recommendations and comments.

Retirement Benefits

Retirement benefits only accrue on the first 25% of additional compensation. Incentive compensation (or a combination of incentive and extra compensation) in excess of 25% will not be reported as retirement wages.


A. Department Share of Recovery per Semester (Off-The-Top)

The off-the-top department share must be adequate to cover the costs incurred by the department.

  1. Faculty Replacement Costs (Temporary Instruction)
  2. Other Departmental Needs






B. Faculty Incentive Percentage of Recovery (50% max)


Comments (such as course load or other assigned activities):

This agreement will be negotiated between faculty and chair/dean every one to three years and must be signed by all three parties. 


Educational Benefits

The grant-in-aid program pays tuition, fees, and a monthly living allowance for full-time faculty members and administrators who have been employed by the University for two or more years. Applicants must be selected and approved by the Tennessee Board of Regents. Those selected are obliged to return three months of full-time employment for each month of grant-in­aid awarded. See also TBR Guideline P130 - Educational Assistance for TBR System Employees []. A fee waiver program is also available for faculty members to take one course per semester at no charge. Contact Human Resources at (901) 678-2867 for more information.

The spouse and dependent children of faculty are entitled to a 50% fee discount for under­graduate courses at The University of Memphis or other Tennessee Board of Regents schools or the University of Tennessee. Dependent children are eligible for this program through age 26. See Policy UM1578 A request for Student Fee Discount form should be submitted to the Department of Human Resources each semester the family member enrolls.

Faculty members may take graduate courses and pursue graduate degrees at the University of Memphis provided (1) they have no voting status in the department in which they enroll, and (2) their enrollment does not constitute a potential conflict of interest. Applications from faculty and staff members seeking admission to graduate degree programs must be reviewed in advance by the Council for Graduate Studies of the college in which the degrees are offered. The purpose of the review is to determine if the proposed programs of study might result in conflicts of interest. Decisions relating to eligibility for graduate study made by college councils may be appealed to the University Council for Graduate Studies and Research. Contact the departmental coordinator of graduate studies for more information. Faculty may take a graduate course as non-degree students by completing an application form available from the Graduate School. 


Emeritus Status

The honorary title of professor emeritus may be awarded by the president to faculty members who retire with the rank of instructor, assistant professor, associate professor or professor, who have completed ten years of service to the University, and who are recommended by the chair or a faculty member (s) within the department. Recommendations for emeritus status should be based upon records of teaching excellence, substantive scholar­ship and meaningful service.

The Departments may, if available, provide office space and other support services at their discretion.

Summer Session Compensation

Summer session assignments are separate from academic-year appointments and compensa­tion is based on the prior academic-year salary. To determine summer session compensation, first multiply the prior academic-year salary by .03125, then take that result and multiply it by the total summer credit hours taught. Summer session compensation may not exceed 25% of the preceding academic-year salary nor may faculty teach more than eight (8) hours during the summer. Summer employment is by invitation and contingent on instructional needs of the department and the University. Faculty should be aware that summer session classes will be cancelled unless they meet minimum enrollment standards established by the University. Any summer earnings in excess of the 25% limit will be recouped from future earnings. See UofM Procedure 1493 -



Full-time faculty members are eligible, though not required, to participate in the State of Tennessee Group Insurance Program, including health, life, and accidental death and dismemberment insurance. 

Applications and detailed information concerning insurance coverage are available in the Department of Human Resources or at


Leaves without Pay

Faculty may apply for leave without pay for a period not to exceed one year. Requests should be addressed to the department chair, and then forwarded to the dean, provost, and finally to the president for approval. Requests for leaves exceeding one year must be approved by the chancellor. Leaves without pay are not counted in fulfillment of the probation period for tenure. Nontenured faculty members generally will not be recommended for a leave of absence. See also Policy UM1572 -


Sick Leave

Full-time faculty members earn sick leave at the rate of 7.5 hours per month for the nine­ month academic year. In the case of illness, all accrued sick leave hours must be used before a leave of absence without pay will be considered. Sick leave usage should be reported to the department timekeeper at the end of the month in which it is taken.

Full-time faculty accrue 67.5 hours (9 days) of sick leave for full-time employment for a full academic year and up to 22.5 hours (3 days) of sick leave for full-time employment through­out summer sessions. The calculation below shows how a full-time faculty member would accrue sick leave hours for a period of employment during the summer.  See


a. Base pay for the previous Academic Year                                                              $50,000

b. Maximum summer earning equals 25% of Line (a)                                                    12,500

c. Actual earning for the current summer                                                                         9,850

d. Maximum hours that may be accrued for summer sick leave                                 22.5 hours

Calculation: Line (c) divided by Line (b) = 78.8% X Line (d) = 17.7 hours summer sick leave accrual.

NOTE: Twenty-five percent (25%) of base academic-year pay is considered to be full-time for summer.


Sick Leave Bank

The Faculty Sick Leave Bank is available to faculty who elect to become members. It allows each faculty member the opportunity to draw upon it should their own leave balance be exhausted. Sick bank time applies to a faculty member's own serious illness. Membership is obtained by donating three days of sick leave (22.5 hours) into the bank. These days are completely forfeited and cannot be returned during the faculty member's service or at retirement. A committee appointed by the president establishes policies and procedures for the bank under the regulations of the Tennessee Board of Regents. For additional information, contact the Department of Human Resources. See also University policy #1609 (


Family Medical Leave Faculty are eligible for up to twelve weeks of unpaid leave during a twelve month period for specified family and medical reasons provided they have worked for the State of Tennessee for at least twelve months and at least 1,250 hours during the preceding year. Family and medical leave (FMLA) may be requested for the birth or adoption of a child, or for the serious illness of self, spouse, child, or parent. Available sick leave will be paid monthly, to the extent the faculty member's leave balance is sufficient, and this paid leave will be charged during the period of FMLA absence. If the faculty member's sick leave balance is inadequate to extend through a maximum of twelve weeks FMLA, the remaining FMLA leave will be unpaid if that additional time off is necessary. Please see University policy #1572 (

Leaves - Additional Information

Further information on these and other kinds of leave (military, court, emergency, maternity, paternity, etc.) may be found in Human Resources Policies and Procedures.

Retirement Plans

Upon employment, all regular full-time employees are enrolled in a retirement system. The only exception is that non-U.S. citizens who are on an F-1 or J-1 visa are not eligible. The retirement contributions are paid in full by the University. Faculty members have a choice of joining either the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (TCRS) or an Optional Retirement Program (ORP).

The TCRS is a defined benefit plan and requires five years of service for a member to be vested (have ownership). Retirement benefits are based on the number of years of service, age, and salary. An ORP is a defined contribution plan with retirement benefits based on the contribu­tions that go into the plan and the interest earned on that money. Vesting in the ORP is immediate. Information packets regarding the retirement plans are available in the Department of Human Resources.


Tax-Deferred Annuities

The University of Memphis offers two long-term savings plans designed to supplement income after retirement.

  • 403(b) - a tax-deferred annuity plan designed for educational nonprofit institutions
  • 401(k) - a deferred compensation plan

Employees may contribute a specified amount to the plans through salary deduction. Amounts contributed do not affect other retirement plans. Contributions and earning of the plans are not subject to federal income tax until funds are withdrawn. Generally, withdrawals are not permitted before age 59+ or retirement. Amounts contributed and early withdrawals are subject to IRS regulations and will be subject to a federal penalty. Contact the Department of Human Resources at (901) 678-3571  or to obtain more information or enroll in these plans.


Privileges for Retired Faculty

Information concerning privileges for retired faculty may be found at These benefits are also extended to the surviving spouse of members with ten or more years of service. See also UofM Policy No. 1467 and Human Resources' website



Dates of official university holidays are announced annually and are available on the web at


Last Updated: 9/27/12