Prof. Emin Babakus Invited to Sweden
Emin Babakus, First Tennessee Professor and professor of marketing, spent the last week of February 2010 as a guest professor at Lulea University of Technology, Lulea, Sweden. He was invited to conduct a doctoral seminar in advanced research methods for the Ph.D. students in e-commerce and industrial marketing area. This program attracts students from all over the world. The current group of 16 students came from as far as Australia, South Africa, Hong Kong, Iran, Cyprus, Tunisia, Russia, and United States. The week-long seminar covered major topics in research design, measurement and analysis.
Lulea is a port city with 75,000 residents located in the northern part of the Baltic Sea. While temperatures during late February ranged from -20◦F to -35◦F with more than three feet of snow on the ground and everything frozen (including the Baltic Sea!), all seemed to function in harmony with nature.
Professor Rabi Bhagat Presents to International Audiences
Professor Rabi S. Bhagat, Professor of International Management and Organizational Behavior, has recently carried out several lectures to international audiences in Europe, Asia, and North America.
- He gave several lectures on the topic of “developing a global mindset in the 21st century” for the Airbus Industrie executives who were attending the MBA program at Toulouse Business School in Toulouse, France on Nov 30, 2009.
- On December 9th, he was invited to present a research seminar on the topic of “culture clashes around the world and the progress of globalization” at the Henley Business School, University of Reading, London, UK.
- On December 28th, Professor Bhagat and Professor Ben Kedia, the Robert Wang Professor of International Management at the University of Memphis, presented the inaugural address at the first Indian Academy of Management conference (IAoM) held in the Steel City of India, Jamshedpur, on the topic "The dearth of theory in Indian management thought since India’s independence in 1947"
- On Jan 13th Professor Bhagat presented a research seminar titled "Culture clashes around the world and the progress of globalization: some fresh perspectives" for the Ph.D. students and faculty at the Indian Institute of Management at Calcutta.
- Between Jan 16th and Jan 18th, Professor Bhagat visited the New York Institute of Technology at Abu Dhabi, UAE and provided guidance on the development of a new global MBA program for the Arabian peninsula countries.
- On Jan 21st, Professor Bhagat presented a research seminar to IESE Business School in Barcelona, Spain, widely regarded as one of the foremost Executive MBA programs in Europe, titled "Culture clashes around the world and the progress of globalization: some fresh perspectives".
- Finally, and closer to home, Professor Bhagat was invited by Memphis City Schools to present a talk on "How to maintain career motivation during tough economic times" on Feb 4th. This talk was attended by over 60 adult learners who were preparing for various careers in the healthcare industry in Memphis.
Zabi Rezaee Earns New Corporate Governance Certifications
The wave of financial scandals at the turn of the 21st century eroded investor confidence in corporate America. The U.S Congress responded by passing the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (SOX). SOX has reformed corporate governance by legislating changes to the composition and structure of boards of directors, executive certifications of financial statements, and internal controls and regulation of public accounting firms. The SOX Institute at the Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) Group was created to create global standards in SOX compliance training, education, research and certification programs. Both the GRC group and SOX Institute set the benchmarks for providing research, education, certifications and guidance in SOX, related regulations and best practices. The SOX Institute maintains certification programs by developing and delivering educational curriculum in all areas of regulation, risk assessment, governance and compliance.
Professor Zabihollah "Zabi" Rezaee , Thompson-Hill Chair of Excellence/Professor of Accountancy, has gained three of the new certifications offered by the SOX Institute:
- Certified Sarbanes-Oxley Professional (CSOXP)
- Certified Governance, Risk, Compliance Professional (CGRCP)
- Certified Corporate Governance Professional (CGOVP)
These additional credentials and their continuous professional education requirements provide Zabi with the recognition of expertise in corporate governance, risk assessment, regulations and compliance, and will directly impact his teaching curricula in the areas of corporate governance, regulations, ethics and business sustainability.