A Memorandum of Understanding and Cooperation between the University of Memphis and the University of Vlora, Albania was signed by University of Memphis President, Dr. Shirley Raines, and University of Vlora Rector, Dr. Tanush Shaska on January 10, 2010. This agreement establishes a promise of cooperation between the University of Memphis and the University of Vlora, Albania to mutual realization and cooperation of their teaching, research, and service programs, especially in their respective Masters in Business Administration (MBA) Programs.
The MOU is the result of work initiated by Dr. Ronald Spahr, Chair of the Department of Finance, Insurance and Real Estate during his invited visit to lecture at the University of Vlora in May, 2009. Subsequently, Rector Shaska was invited to lead a delegation of faculty and administrators from the University of Vlora to visit at the University of Memphis in September 2009 and begin formulating a cooperation agreement with Provost Dr. Ralph Faudree and Dr. Rajiv Grover, Dean of the Fogelman College of Business
Mutual cooperation will be carried out by the parties of the two universities in programs including faculty and student exchanges, seminars, teaching and internships with respect business programs of the two universities. Specifically, cooperation will include:
- Exchange of professors and lecturers with similar qualifications and interests to teach MBA and undergraduate classes;
- Exchange of students with similar qualifications and interests to enroll in MBA and undergraduate classes at the respective universities;
- Cooperative research programs;
- Exchange of documentary resources for teaching and research;
- Joint mentorship of graduate students engaged in research of mutual interest;
- Exchange of information on research priorities, future scientific conferences, and professional development opportunities;
- Search for external funding for cooperative teaching, research, and service projects.
The University of Vlora is located in the port city of Vlora on the beautiful, mountainous Albanian coast overlooking the Bay of Vlora and west across the Adriatic Sea. The research university offers bachelors, masters, doctoral and professional programs to approximately 15,000 students.
Both the University of Memphis and the University of Vlora look forward to mutually beneficial cooperation.