Research at FedEx Institute
The FedEx Institute of Technology is first and foremost an emerging technologies research institution. Working with an interdisciplinary team of faculty members from across campus and around the world, we are bringing the SMART future to Memphis and advancing the science of what's next. Included in our research focus areas are:
- intelligent systems & artificial intelligence'
- unmanned & autonomous systems
- cybersecurity testing
- biologistics & smart biomaterials
- robotics and machine learning
- virtual reality and immersive environments
- blockchain technologies and cryptocurrency
- additive manufacturing
- mobile health and precision medicine
- big data analytics & design thinking
- smart cities
- quantum computing
Memphis is home to many startups and incubators, but these places are not where innovation is born. Innovation begins in the classroom and the lab, and in the spaces that allow for the free exchange of bold ideas without the urgency of entrepeunership. There are only two research institutions in Memphis, and the University of Memphis is the only comprehensive research institution. We are committed to planting the seeds, and feeding the innovation lifecycle that will make Memphis a world-class technology city.