Business Finance Concentration
Dr. Quentin Chu
Dr. Pankaj Jain
Dr. C.S. Pyun
A wide range of opportunities exists for financial analysts, budget analysts, loan officers, stockbrokers, portfolio managers, investment brokers and other financial advisors. According to US government sources, employment in many finance areas is expected to grow faster than average in the future.
What You Can Do With It
Whether working in private industry, government, or for non-profit organizations, you can:
- Develop and monitor operating budgets and financial control systems.
- Perform project and capital budgeting analysis and develop feasibility studies.
- Conduct financial analysis to aid in corporate control, advise investors, and design optimal investment portfolios.
- Design and promote financial products for use by industry, banks, and other financial institutions.
- Analyze the profitability of alternative investment options and make recommendation of likely investment outcomes.
- $30,000 - $40,000: entry-level trainees and analysts
- $40,000 - $70,000: mid-level managers and senior analysts
- $70,000 - $120,000: senior level managers
- $120,000+: financial executives and investment bankers
Scholarships and Internships
Many scholarship opportunities are available for qualified students majoring in finance with a concentration in business finance. Internships are available in industrial corporations, banks, thrift institutions and securities firms.
FMA and Investment Club
Financial Management Association and National Honor Society: The UofM Chapter brings together its members and local professionals through invited lecture and visit to local financial institutions. Students with GPA of 3.25 and higher are inducted into the Association's National Honor Society. Also, the TVA Investment Challenge team manages a portfolio of stock of over $500,000. Student teams also participate in the CFA institute research challenge.
Cook Analytics & Trading Lab
The Cook Analytics & Trading Lab offers innovative tools to help supplement traditional classroom teaching and provide resources to help students stay on the cusp of an ever-growing industry. The leading-edge technology and data center allows students to experience pragmatic, hands-on learning in an academic environment, able to run simulations with actual data and observe how their decisions could actually impact the market, with the goal of preparing students to become competent and confident finance professionals.