Below are the eligibility requirements. Please feel free to contact us with any questions. First Scholars® applications are by February 1, 2018.
- Must be a first generation college student (neither parent earned more than two years of education beyond high school and no post-secondary degree).
- Be an incoming first-time, full-time freshman.
- Apply and be admitted to the University of Memphis.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Perform in the mid-range of the university's admission standards.
- Be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen and be eligible for in-state student tuition.
- Live on campus in the First Scholars Living Learning Community and apply for campus housing by the required date.
- Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 1, 2018.
- Complete the Student Strengths InventoryTM, a non-academic assessment of your potential for success.
- Be willing to fully participate in annual program activities.
- Attend New Student Orientation and Frosh Camp during the summer prior to your freshmen
year. Each each student is responsible to pay the attendance cost to participate in
NSO & Frosh Camp.
First Scholars® will be selected based on our eligibility criteria and the results of the SSI. If you're selected, First Scholars® will provide you with opportunities to maximize your success in college and help you create an individualized plan to guide you.