What are the benefits of Fresh Connections Learning Communities?
- The Design of a Learning Community:
- Provides a conveniently scheduled "package" of classes appealing to particular interests
- Students are enrolled in courses with other students who have similar interests
- Close collaboration among students and faculty
- The learning process is strengthened through peer support and faculty interactions
- Allows for career exploration
- Promotes active learning
- Based on successful learning communities at similar universities, Fresh Connections
is structured to improve:
- oral and written communication skills
- increase student participation in the academic process
- foster interaction with other students and faculty
- improve teamwork skills
- Fresh Connections provides students the opportunity to study with some of the most
distinguished faculty at the University of Memphis.
Statistics on Fresh Connections Learning Communities
- When compared to students not in a learning community, students in the Fresh Connections
learning communities are:
- More successful in ENGL 1010 - English Composition I
- More engaged in the learning process
- More connected to faculty and other students
- Likely to earn more academic credit in the first semester
- More likely to be successful in other first semester courses
- Students in the Fresh Connections Learning Communities report more involvement in:
- Class presentations
- The writing process resulting in increased confidence
- Integration of ideas and information into their work
- Compared to students not in a learning community, students in the Fresh Connections
learning communities generally have a higher success rate and a higher first semester
- Overall, course success (measured by a grade of C or better) are consistently higher
for learning community students.
Students are making Connections and getting a Fresh start at the University of Memphis!