Resident Counselor Opportunities
The Resident Counselors (RC's) for the Governor's School for International Studies (GSIS) at the University of Memphis play an important role in assisting the high school students who are chosen for the program. Each RC will be responsible for supervising the residential life of approximately 12 students, and must be able to relate to the academic and creative life of the Governor's School community. The priorities of the RC are the health and welfare of the students and the fostering of community within the group.
- Explain, support, and enforce the rules and regulations of GSIS.
- Supervise the students in residence hall.
- Check-in students at curfew nightly.
- Participate actively in planning and carrying out student orientation. Attend all plenaries and group meetings.
- Meet weekly with the students for whom you have direct responsibility to review the general problems and responsibilities of group living and deal with specific problems.
- Develop and maintain an ongoing relationship with students, initiating contacts, and stimulating conversation. In order to foster these relationships, all Resident Counselors should attend the equivalent of at least seven classes a week with the students.
- Assist with planning and supervising GSIS students' free time and study time. This requires identifying the recreational and intramural interests of the students and organizing related activities.
- Accompany students on field trips of both academic and non-academic nature. As this may require driving passenger vans, a Resident Counselor should have a valid driver's license.
- Provide counseling and advising of students concerning personal and social adjustments to residential life.
- Coordinate check-in and check-out of students at the beginning and end of the program.
RC candidates must be enrolled in a college or university. Preference will be given to candidates who have participated in a Governor's School program. RC's must be available to participate in training activities prior to the beginning of the GSIS program and must remain through the final day of the program (this period lasts for one month from approximately late May to early July). Outside employment during this period is not permitted. RC's will report directly to the Associate Director of the Program, but will also be supervised and directed by other GSIS staff members.
Students who have previously served as GSIS resident counselors may be considered for reappointment by submitting a letter or email expressing their interest in serving for another year. While former resident counselors will receive preferential consideration, they are not guaranteed a position.
Individuals interested in serving as new, i.e. "first-time," resident counselors for the GSIS should submit a letter of interest, a resume, a completed Personal Questionnaire form, arrange to have official college transcripts sent to the program, and arrange for three recommendation forms to be sent to the program. A copy of the Questionnaire and Recommendation forms are available by clicking here. Information and addresses for submitting these materials are provided on the forms. Candidates must also complete an application for "Temporary Pool – PROFESSIONAL" on the University's WorkForum site: https://workforum.memphis.edu/pools/14488
All application materials must be must be submitted no later than April 1.
The selection of RC's and notification will take place during the month of April.