Termination of Graduate Students
Graduate Students may be terminated from a program for a second failure on comprehensive
examination, unsuccessful defense of thesis or dissertation, a second consecutive
semester on academic probation, or an action of a program retention committee.
Procedures for notifying students of termination:
- The Advisor informs the student of intended recommendation to terminate.
- The student’s Advisor consults the Graduate Coordinator of the program.
- The Advisor, Graduate Coordinator, and/or Department Chair review the recommendation.
If approved the Advisor, Graduate coordinator, and/or Department Chair sign and submit
the termination form for review to the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies for the
student's College or School. The Associate Dean will consult all relevant parties.
- If approved, the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies signs and submits termination form to the Graduate School.
- The Dean of the Graduate School reviews the recommended request for termination. If
the request is approved, the Dean sends a letter of termination to the student and
copies all parties.
- The appeals process for termination is articulated in the Graduate Catalog, http://www.memphis.edu/gradcatalog/retentionappeals.php.