March 19, 2014 APPLICATION DEADLINE (including recommendations)
The funds for the 1st Generation PhD Fellowship Program are made available to The
University of Memphis by the State of Tennessee. The purpose of the fellowship is
to provide financial assistance to graduate students who are underrepresented in their
respective disciplines and who will become the first person in their immediate families
to earn a doctoral degree.
In order to be eligible to apply, students must be:
Fellowship recipients must agree to the following:
- A resident of Tennessee
- Fully admitted to a graduate program by March, 2014 (current student)
- Underrepresented in their discipline/major by gender or race
- First immediate family member to complete a doctoral or Master of Fine Arts degree
- To enroll in at least 9 semester hours of graduate course work for the full-time option
or 6 hours for the part-time option
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00 in order to be eligible
to continue the fellowship.
- Full-Time Option (minimum of 9 hours per semester): Tuition scholarship plus a $6,000 stipend ($750
per month for four months each semester)
- Part-Time Option (6 hours per semester): Tuition scholarship plus a $1,000 stipend ($500 per semester)
- Award Period: The fellowship is awarded for one academic year contingent upon the student maintaining
each semester a 3.00 or higher grade point average.
- Summer Support: Summer support is contingent upon availability of funds and is not guaranteed.
Applicants must complete the 1st Generation PhD/MFA Application along with required documentation and the Graduate School Competitive Award Self-Application.
In addition to the application, applicants must submit two letters of recommendation,
one of which should be academic. Letters of Recommendation must be sent by the person
recommending an applicant directly to the following address:
ATTN: 1st Generation Ph.D. Fellowship Selection Committee
The University of Memphis
Vice Provost for Graduate Programs
The Graduate School, Administration 215
Memphis, TN 38152
All completed applications with supporting documents (see Documentation Required for Graduate Awards chart) must be submitted to the Graduate School, 215 Administration Building, by
March 19, 2014.