What is the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam?
The FE exam is typically the first step in becoming a licensed professional engineer.
It is intended for students who are within 2 semesters of graduation from an EAC of
ABET Inc. engineering program. It is a multiple choice exam that lasts 8 hours and
is administered in April and October. The morning session is the same for everyone
and contains 180 multiple-choice questions. You will be asked to select the module
that best corresponds to your undergraduate major for the afternoon session which
contains 60 multiple-choice questions.
Why sit for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam?
Along with your degree in engineering, passing the FE exam adds to your list of recognized
credentials when applying for engineering positions.
- It is a practical means of assessing your skills and experience.
- It provides additional verification of your knowledge of the principles and practices
in your specific major.
- It gives you membership in a distinctive peer group made up of your fellow professionals.
- It can aid in your career advancement and compensation in that many engineering positions
require the employee to hold a Professional Engineer’s license.
What are the steps in applying to sit for the FE exam?
- Complete the Engineer Intern application available here.
Make sure to select the application "For Senior Engineering Students"
Secure the signature of your department chair and mail it to the address on the form
along with a check in the amount of $50 made payable to the Tennessee Department of
Commerce and Insurance. This application to the Tennessee Board of Architectural
& Engineering Examiners makes it possible for them to significantly subsidize the
test fee for college students.
- Once you have received approval from the Tennessee Board to sit for the exam, you MUST register with NCEES
to reserve a seat for the exam. No additional fee is required. This step MUST be completed by the NCEES registration deadline.
When and how will I know if I passed?
You will be notified in writing of your exam score approximately 100 days after the
date of the exam. The score will be sent to your permanent address (#3 on the application).