Honors News Room
2017 Honors Summer Research Fellowship
The Helen Hardin Honors Program provides funding for a summer research fellowship to promote research and creative activity among honors students. Selected Fellows will receive funding to present their research at the National Conference for Undergraduate Research and other national or regional honors conferences. By participating in the extensive research requirements of the program and by presenting their research at conferences, Fellows will earn the University's "Undergraduate Research Scholar" designation on their transcript.
- A student fellowship award of $2,400
- A student allowance of up to $1,000 for research-related expenses (travel to collect data, specialized software, research supplies, etc.)
- Professional support funds for faculty mentors ($700)
- Students may only receive one fellowship during their time at the University of Memphis and the fellowship must be used for the summer in which it awarded.
- Program application is open to any honors student who:
- Is in good standing (minimum 3.0 GPA, not on probation, etc.)
- Will have completed his/her sophomore year (defined as having a minimum of 60 credit hours) or junior year prior to the beginning of the 2017 Summer Session
- Will enroll for at least one semester at the University as an undergraduate student after the completion of the summer fellowship
- Agrees to be involved in the program, from May 30 to August 4, and forgo any courses, employment, or internships that would interfere with participation in the 10-week program.
*Students graduating in May or August 2017 are not eligible.
Students funded by this program agree to:
- Submit a final report to the Honors Program representing the completed work during the research program, and provide information on presentation or publication plans. The report is due at the conclusion of the summer and no later than the first day of classes, August 28, 2017.
- Present their results at the Works in Progress Symposium in the fall, 2017 semester.
Click here for the application instructions. Application deadline is March 1, 2017.