Urban Education Graduate Certificate
The Graduate Certificate in Urban Education offers an advanced program of study in instruction and curriculum leadership in urban educational contexts. The Urban Certificate develops:
- Knowledge about urban communities and urban education
- Frameworks for teaching, learning, & assessment to improve urban classrooms, schools, and school districts
- Effective approaches to closing the achievement gap
- Contemporary teaching frameworks for culturally, racially, linguistically, economically, and geographically diverse settings
- Proven strategies for achieving educational equity
- Research methodologies for investigating urban education for improvement and educational justice
- Competitive skills and training for advanced professional performance
The certificate does not lead to teacher licensure.
To be admitted students should apply to the Graduate School. Under 'Planned Course of Study' the student should select 'Urban Education CERT'.
Students will interview with the Urban Education Certificate coordinator, Dr. Beverly Cross, and must have experience within K-12 Education or a related field.
The Certificate is earned through a 12 credit focused course of study that includes:
- ICL 7702/8702 Advanced Topics in Instruction & Curriculum
- ICL 7701/8701 Advanced Workshop in Instruction & Curriculum
- ICL 7706 Family & Community Relations for Teachers
- ICL 8082 Seminar in Urban Education
Graduate Office: 901-678-4861