1. The game will consist of two 20-minute halves with a running clock. No time-outs
permitted. Fields are about half regulation size.
2. The tournament will be double elimination.
3. Teams – 7 players constitute a team (6 players and 1 goal keeper). Teams will be
permitted to play with one less.
4. Goalkeeper – will be designated and will wear an off-color shirt to indicate his/her
position. This player only will be permitted to use hands to play the ball within
the penalty area. The no-pass back rule (re: handling) is in effect. Opponents are
prohibited from charging into the goalkeeper when he/she has possession of the ball.
5. Substitutes – must report to the official and may enter the game only when the
ball is dead. At the official’s discretion, substitutions may be waived off or delayed.
Players may not switch positions with goalkeeper while the ball is in play.
6. Equipment – no metal or metal screw-in cleats allowed.
7. There will be NO OFFSIDES
8. Scoring – The team with the most goals scored will be declared the winner. If,
at the end of regulation, the score is tied, there will be one 10 minute overtime
period. If still tied, a mid field shootout commences:
Mid field shootout format: the offensive player starts at the mid-field circle with
possession. The goalkeeper’s initial position is in the penalty area. At the whistle
the offensive player will have 15 seconds to score a goal; both players may move freely
at the whistle.
Normal soccer rules apply, and: any infractions by the goalkeeper results in an automatic
goal, any infraction by the field player nullifies any goal scored.
The mid-field shootout will be administered as follows:
1. A coin toss will determine the first to “kick”
2. Each team will take a series of three offensive chances (taken alternately)
3. The team scoring the greater number of goals shall be declared the winner
4. A different player will take each “kick”
5. If the number of kicks goes beyond the initial three, the same kicking order shall
be repeated until a team has 1 more goal in the same number of kicks.
6. Only players who have played in the game shall be eligible to take kicks in the
7. The goalkeeper is eligible to take kicks
8. Whoever is designated, as goalkeeper must remain in goal until the tie is broken.
NCAA soccer rules will govern play except where modified by these IM soccer Rules.
RAINOUTS – The Intramural Staff will make the decision by 4:00pm of the nights in
question. All captains should call 678-2802 after 4:00pm to find out game status.
DO NOT CALL BEFORE 4:00PM!!