F-1 students who are unable to complete all of their degree requirements by the program end date listed on the Form I-20 may request for a program extension. I-20 extension requests must be made at least one month before the expiration date on the Form I-20.
Students May Request an I-20 Extension for the Following Reasons:
- Change of major
- Extended time to complete a thesis or dissertation
- Change in research field
- Internship approval
- Medical reason
- Other circumstances
- You must have continually maintained legal status
- Your extension request must be supported with a written letter from your academic department indicating the new expected degree completion date and the reason(s) for the extension request
- You must provide proof of adequate funding to cover tuition and living expenses for the duration of the extension. If you will receive departmental funding, provide a copy of the award letter with the stated amount.
- Extensions will be granted for a maximum of one year at a time. If additional time is needed, a second request may be submitted for the following year.
- Note: F-2 dependent extensions are granted at the same time as extensions for the primary F-1.
To Request an Extension, Please Follow the Steps Below:
Complete the ISS I-20 Extension Request Form and attach supporting documentation from academic department with proof of funding.
Contact the ISS Office at email@example.com to schedule an appointment with an International Student Advisor.
Extension of I-20 requests will be processed within 5 business days after the I-20 Extension Request is accepted.